Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I completely understand the saying when it comes to binos buy the best you can afford. My question is can one get a good set of binos, mainly for 3d and treestand bowhunting, for around $200.00?

If so what would you recommend?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
Alpen makes some good quality binos for around that price. Another good bino that may run around about $275.00 is the Nikon Monarch ATB. Great bino for the money.

·
Registered
3,974 Posts
take a look at carson.

great glass for a cheap price, i was very impressed with them. they are also a sponsor of AT to boot.

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
yep ursonvs is right! The Carson is another great choice for the price!!!

ursonvs said:
take a look at carson.

great glass for a cheap price, i was very impressed with them. they are also a sponsor of AT to boot.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Click the Alpen Outdoor Corp. link in my sig .....

will lead you to a great manufacturer not only for Binos ...but rifle scopes and spotting scopes as well

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
I found my nikon monarch atb 8x42's on ebay for around 250-260 bucks. Save a few more bucks and buy quality glass.

·
Registered
5,149 Posts
I got some Burris 8x32's on ebay. Brand new in the box for $50.00. I'm sure there are more still out there.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Alpen Shasta Ridge is a great pair for the money. I like them and I know several others that use them as well.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
look at the big names
Pentax
leupold (yes they have binos under 200)
bausch and lomb
they all make quality products you will be more then happy with any of these

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Stay away from the luepold /wind river I bought a pair and I thought they were great until it got to dusk and couldnt see horns on a 120 inch buck in a field 5 minutes before closing. I saw him again around the same time using a cheap pair of bushnells and had no problems seeing him.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Nikon MOnarch ATB 8 X 4

These Nikon Monarch ATB 8 X 42 are a great pair to use. I happen to have a set of like new, used for 6 shoots, not a scratch on them. I sadly need to sell these now. 200.00 shipped in lower 48 of U.S. Hunter green in color.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
here's another vote for the monarch atb's. For the $$, a great buy !

·
Registered
105 Posts
The Carson XM series is great. I compared them to some of the bigger brands in the same price range such as Bushnell Legends, Pentax DCF HRII, Brunton Lite-Tech and Nikon Monarchs and the Carsons had them all beat. I gave away the Bruntons, my father had the Nikon Monarchs (good glass but I was very disappointed in their low light performance) the Pentax just didnt seem as clear to me and Bushnell's were very close but the Carsons were a little cheaper.
Check out this review from a birding sight:

http://www.naturephotographers.net/articles0404/je0404-1.html

If you dont mind the extra "bulk" as in wideth (not weight since some of the roofs out there weigh just as much) you can go with the poro (dog leg traditional shaped binocular). Generally from what I understand it is easier to get better performance out of a poro thus you can get better quality glass at a lower cost. If you want the ultimate binocular without spending $1,300 then go look at the Swift Audubon. These binoculars kick *****. I have friends that have use the expensive German brands and even they were shocked at how good the Swifts are and when I told them the price the were very impressed. You can pick up the Swift Audubon in the ED glass and it hold its own with just about anything out there regardless of price. The non-ED version is very very good and I think the best buy in binoculars. The Swift Audubon had set the standard in years past for birders and unfortunitly hunters are just catching on. Here is a link:

http://betterviewdesired.com/audubon/audubon.html

I think you can get good glass without having to morgage off the house. Brands that I would check out are Carson XM, Swift, Alpen (shasta Ridge or Apex- nothing lower) Bushnell Legends and Pentax (DCF SP's are good) the HRII - you can do better.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Can you get good binos for $200??

No! Can you get decent? Yes. In the lower price range, I personally think the Alpen's are the best buy for the $$. As you already mentioned, you should try to buy the best you can afford. I'm not an advocate of $1000 or $1500 binos (simply cause I can't afford them), but when you get into the $400-500 range, you sure have a lot of very nice options.

·
Registered
437 Posts
zick said:
These Nikon Monarch ATB 8 X 42 are a great pair to use. I happen to have a set of like new, used for 6 shoots, not a scratch on them. I sadly need to sell these now. 200.00 shipped in lower 48 of U.S. Hunter green in color.
P.M. this guy. I bought some ATBs a month ago and can't say enough good things about them. Compared to my buddies' Kahles at one third the cost.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts