Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I'm interested in what you all have to say about some binos under 250$. Right now I'm interested in vortex Diamondbacks. Also I hunt woods mostly so would it be better to go with 8 power or 10? Thanks.

·
Only visiting this planet
4,216 Posts
I have some Vortex 8.5x binos and in the woods, that's about right. If I was hunting western KS I would want more magnification but in the woods it would be too much

·
Registered
727 Posts
I have 10x42 vortex crossfire II bino's. Best I've ever owned under $200. Super clear, work awesome in low light, aren't heavy, great eye relief, quick adjustment. I lost one of the lens covers first day out. I called vortex, told the rep I lost one, she said no problem and sent me a new one. I looked at the diamondbacks and really couldn't tell them apart from the crossfires including clarity. Either way vortex is top notch for the money. I also use mine primarily in the timber during archery and 10 power is perfect for me.

·
Vendor
10,767 Posts
8x will get you better low light transmission and it will also distort the animals you look at less in the closer wooded settings. Any of the Vortex optics are very good buys for their price ranges. The Viper HD's are the best mid range binos I have looked thru from anyone. I would try and save up the money and buy a pair of used Viper's on here. They still have the lifetime warranty.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I use a pair of the $220 Leupold's in 8x42 which I really like, and a pair of 6.5x32 (maybe?), $100 Vortex's which I am really impressed with. The 8x definitely provides better light transmission, and the controls are not as crisp on the Vortex's as they would be on more expensive glass, but both will get the job done. My next pair will probably be a more expensive pair of Vortex's.

·
Just Do It.....
30,245 Posts
Money spent on good optics will be well spent.

I use 8.5x52 Minox...8.5 is plenty of magnification for me and the 52 is very good at first and last light.

·
Registered
239 Posts
8x are the best for the woods, but don't get set on a brand. I went in to buy Zeiss and I bought the $200 Leupolds because I think they were more clear. Even now I look through my in-laws Zeiss 10x50 and I mine are way better.

·
outback1
5,057 Posts
Hey guys I'm interested in what you all have to say about some binos under 250$. Right now I'm interested in vortex Diamondbacks. Also I hunt woods mostly so would it be better to go with 8 power or 10? Thanks.
I have owned $2000 binoculars and $200 bino's, I use the Vortex Diamond Backs 10 x 42 , they are great optics. you will be pleased, do a search on here, plenty has been written on binoculars,

·
All in the Reflexes
3,094 Posts
Used to use Vortex till I picked up one of these 8x42 Vanguard Endeavors....definitely more bang for your buck.

·
Catty Shack
12,412 Posts

·
Registered
649 Posts
I'd recommend the Leupold BX-2 Acadia. Cabelas has them on sale right now for under $200. The last two years on Black Friday they have had them online for $139.99. They are really good IMO. One of my hunting partners and I did a comparison at dusk between my 10X42 Acadia vs. his 8x42 Swarovski's. We were both shocked. Needless to say, we are both in agreement that they are worth the $140 I paid for them and much more!

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Top rated for the money on a birding forum review, (or you could go with the optics experts here on AT). The current models have a $50 rebate going until the end of the year I think.

http://www.birdwatching.com/optics/2011midpricebins/chart_2011.html
But watch the quality control. While a good deal, I bought one of their spotting scopes and while they were very clear, there were multiple black flecks visible in the eyepiece when magnification was cranked up. Returned the first scope and got a second one.....same problem. Returned that one, got a Vortex scope and never looked back.

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
I have the vortex diamonback 8 power is perfect in the woods. Lifetime Warranty is tough to beat and always clear.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Scheels had Nikon Monarch 5's on sale for $250 yesterday. You won't find better glass for that money and they come with a lifetime warranty.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Not sure if you can find them anymore but Bausch and Lomb made some really nice compacts for under $200, Nikon has some good lenses as well, just get the biggest objective on the smallest frame.

·
Strictly Public Land
12,305 Posts
Used to use Vortex till I picked up one of these 8x42 Vanguard Endeavors....definitely more bang for your buck.
They just had some camo 8X32 endeavors on Camofire today for 150. Smoking buy.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts