Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am looking into getting a new pair of binocs for the 06-07 hunting season. I dont know which brand or which size to get. I was thinking about 8-42so i could use them on 3D shoots.But I like to bowhunt so I didnt know if the 8-42 were to big or if i should get a more compact size for the treestand. Just give me your oppinions on what size and brand you would get or you already like. This will be a big help. Thanks

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
8x42 are great for bowhunting , and as far as their weight just get a crooked horn bino harness so you can wear them comforably while hunting.Look at my sig.for the ones I use.

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
I have been using my Vortex Sidewinders for hunting and are really enjoying them. Great light gathering, super clear and a great price.

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
Although nikon are good optics, you could get the Vortex Crossfire for alot less and a better optic IMO. Bushnells....ahhh I would bother unless your just lookin for something to beat up and use for in the truck?
I dont mean to keep pushin vortex on yea, but their prices are pretty darn good and the quaility is top notch.

Just my 2cents

·
Registered
505 Posts
Binos

Best bang for the buck are Vortex Optics just got a set of the viper they are awesome. I had a set of nikon monarchs but at the last 2 to 3 minutes of light the vipers out preform the nikons. cant beat the warranty either. 8x42 are a good all around i went with the 10x42. good luck

·
It's where its at!!
1,981 Posts
What they said...... ^

I love mine. Compact enough to hunt, but awesome clear for 3D

Carl

·
Registered
4,391 Posts
Do a search on Vortex optics. You will find alot of feedback. Vortex has an outstanding product for the $ you are spending. Sure you can spend a mint on optics, but with Vortex you can get the quality without spending the $.

PM me if you have any questions. Go to www.vortexoptics.com for info on the models they carry.

Vortex is an Archerytalk sponsor, no other optics company is.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
I will also throw the Vortex line out there. I switched over from Nikons and I like the Vortex alot better.

I have a set of 12X Vultures for ASA and and set of 8X Sidewinders for IBO and hunting. Everyone I show these binos to loves them. You wont be dissapointed.

:cocktail: LastCall :cocktail:

·
Banned
910 Posts
oh ya Nikons suck...Vortex are so much better....:ROFLMAO: how much of a discount does Vortex give you to spill such garbage? Do you have to sign a contract or something? I saw this thread yesterday and I was wondering where all you Vortex:grouphug: salesman were.

·
Registered
3,840 Posts
:up: what they said , Vortex Optics , cant go wrong. Don't forget about that warranty

Unlimited
Unconditional
Transferable

With that alone , you cant go wrong!

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
Moose mustard said:
oh ya Nikons suck...Vortex are so much better....:ROFLMAO: how much of a discount does Vortex give you to spill such garbage? Do you have to sign a contract or something? I saw this thread yesterday and I was wondering where all you Vortex:grouphug: salesman were.

No we not saleman..can't you see that we're staff shooters for vortex?
And no one said nikons suck, we said that for the money you get better quality optics.

have a nice day:rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,391 Posts
Moose mustard said:

You should really change your AT name Moose Hijack Mustard.

Really, if you have NOTHING to OFFER for the purpose of the thread, then shut up and talk to a mirror.:(

THey pay any of us NOTHING to promote the line. I sell it, so I promote it. I don't sell something that I don't think is worth it.

HAve you looked through some yet? If not, then do it so you can have an opinion based of something other than what is in your head.

Go post in the French section to get your post count up. That way they don't know what you are saying.

·
(aka lug nut)
48,474 Posts
J_Harcha said:
thank you guys. What does everyone think about the nikon monarchs and the bushnell legends?
Hello J_Harcha:

Nikon Monarchs are well established,
and a very good set of binoculars.

Medium price range.
You can pick up a set practically at any major sporting goods store.
Very good quality.

Go and look through a pair in the store.

I looked through a pair at a local store,
and they are quite nice. Solid clarity edge to edge
(lower quality glass will do weird things at the edge of the lenses).

Colimation is good (alignment of the lenses to each other).

But, I looked into the Vortex line.
Liked the specifications.
Really liked the warranty.

There's a saying.
Build a better mousetrap, and "they" will beat a path to your door.

Zeiss is world famous for optics.
Swarovski is world famous for optics.

Nikon also makes binoculars that sells in the $1000+ range,
but folks don't associate Nikon with super high end optics,
so I think most folks look at the Monarchs, when they think of Nikon.

Steiner makes miltary spec and military grade (as in heavy) optics.

Vortex is a new name that I had not heard of several months ago.
Definitely does not have the decades old reputation of Zeiss or Swarovski.

I looked at the specs.
I liked the price.
I bought a set of Razors, sight unseen.

Only you can decide.
I am enjoying my Razors.

Wish you luck.
Lot's of opinions.

If you decide to take a chance of Vortex,
I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

I am.

No worries. Vortex or Nikon. Both are excellent choices.

·
Registered
37,038 Posts
I have a pair of 10x42 leupold Cascades that I love but they are a little big for the treestand so I was looking into something a little smaller as well. I saw a pair of Stiener 10x32 that were awsome but I didnt have the $449 on me at the time. Maybe later.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Nikon is not second class

Take a look at the better view desired website. It's a birder's website devoted to evaluation of binos and spotting scopes for birders. They're generally more uptight than anyone when it comes to optics quality and they use their stuff in the field. Nikon's high end stuff is possibly the best in the world with price no object. Both Vortex and Nikon sell great stuff in this price range. Educate youself on how to evaluate glass by reading a little on the BVD website and then pick.

To answer the original question, I prefer something lighter and more compact than the 42s. In an 8x especially you can go to around a 30mm objective, lose a lot of weight and bulk, and still get very good performance. Ask me about 10 x and you get a different answer. The leadfree glass reduces the weight penalty between the two.

·
Banned
910 Posts
Dear Jayhawk VORTEX salesman, do all Bino threads belong to Vortex,not just the ones that are titled Vortex? I will give you guys credit. you guys are the hardest working Bino salesman I have ever witnessed.

·
Banned
910 Posts
dear Vortex sales, please tell me what import Optic company marketing Bino's in North America who has had less time to establish a reliabilty reputation then Vortex?

·
It's where its at!!
1,981 Posts
Funny. I don't see anything on here about Nikon binocs being garbage. I looked through the Monarchs and thought they were fine glass, but bought Vortex because of the warranty and the reviews on this board. I am not a sponsored shooter and my money needs to support my family and my hobby. My friends know that if I tell them something is a great deal then it is. I wouldnt hesitate to buy another pair of vortexs. They are great glass FOR THE MONEY!!!!!! If you got lots of extra $$$$ then buy swaros or zeiss. Its your money.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts