Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks been a while since I posted one of my creations, thought I would share this silly little do-dad with ya.

It is a reference point for adding a missing vane. I found that trying to eyeball where the clamp and vane meat was terribly difficult, and you never really knew if the nock had been rotated out of position.

this is how I use it:
First I mounted a vane on an arrow that is the same size as the arrow that is missing vane. I then make a counter clockwise click of the arrow. I then set the pointer to match the pristine vane placement. Once I have done that I can place an arrow on the jig with a missing vane and it tells me if the nock is still in it's original rotation. if it's not I can adjust accordingly and add the missing vane back on in perfect registration. Well close enough for the youth arrows anyway. It's a lot closer than trying to eye ball it. I used an old dove tail sight I had laying around so it is completely adjustable for fat arrows and low or high profile vanes.

Perhaps it's a ridiculous idea but I find it rather useful.

Attachments

·
Registered
504 Posts
Great idea, thanks for sharing it.

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
Had a new Harbor Freight store open up here a couple of months ago....so I checked it out.

Found this lazer thing ($3.00 if I remember correctly) that some may find usefull for that same purpose.

Don't know the manufacturer.

Bold print says:

CAUTION

MADE IN CHINA ;)

Attachments

·
Registered
5,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How much is the laser?
That's really cool!

I looked on HF and couldn't find them but I did find them on EBay for 4.00

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
Because your methoud uses no batteries, I think it's a much better option.

Just happened to have the thing lying around and, after seeing your gizmo, ..........

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Both great ideas!

An alternative I use that seems to work pretty well is to simply attach the clamp to a good vane that is properly attached to the shaft. Then align the clamp so the end of the vane is at the desired graduation mark on the clamp. Then bring the shaft end (with vane attached to clamp) to the Zenith nock receiver so it just lightly fits and then rotate the shaft so the clamp is secure to the magnet. That sets up the correct angle, so I then just slide the clamp & arrow together to tighten the shaft fit in the nock receiver & then remove the clamp. Once this is done, I rotate the indexer CCW to establish the position for the replacement vane.

·
Registered
5,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So how are you adjusting the nock? In other words if the nock doesn't line up with the nock receiver do you pull it back off the jig adjust it and then repeat the process until it all lines up? Perhaps I'm missing something I know it's difficult to describe these sorts of things via text.

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
Cool idea, thanks for sharing...although I always strip all the fletches on my personal arrows!

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
So how are you adjusting the nock? In other words if the nock doesn't line up with the nock receiver do you pull it back off the jig adjust it and then repeat the process until it all lines up? Perhaps I'm missing something I know it's difficult to describe these sorts of things via text.
With the Zenith upgrade, there is no nock involved because it is removed. The back end of the arrow fits over a pin/arbor that allows the shaft to be rotated with respect to any of the passive lock locations.

·
Registered
5,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ah yes well that makes it simple.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Good idea! No more guessing.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
If you use press fit nocks, no problems, glue on nocks are anothr story. Using the Zenith nock receiver doesn't fletch with a nock on. Just re-fletch as I mentioned above. Once the replacement vane is on, insert the nock, align the nock to the cock feather, and you're good to go.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts