Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the most bizarre/interesting deer behavior that you have seen while hunting?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
when you have a doe feeding in front of you and it pops it head up and looks over its shoulder at another deer that just walked onto the field 300 yards away.
That's crazy. Makes you wonder which one of her senses alerted her about that other deer.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Well, several times I climbed down from the tree stand to have a deer show up or to blow at my movement. However, one time, I just put my bow down on the ground to take a pee. Suddenly, a small buck come running out of the woods and within a few yards from where I'm peeing. If my hands were not "occupied"' I could probably have grabbed him !!!

·
Registered
814 Posts
Not behavior I experiences myself, but a cool story from John Eberhart in one of his books.

A buck he was hunting would stand off out of bow range, and wheeze. After the wheeze, a couple of does would come out and check to see if the area was safe and clear for that buck to walk out and feed. This happened on a couple occasions from what I remember of the story. It's like the buck was a mafia boss of the does or something.

·
Registered
7,036 Posts
A few years ago I was in a tree in November, had already shot my buck and was after a doe. All hell broke loose behind me , a nice buck chasing a doe and she stopped right under me. I arrowed her and when she ran he went with her. Heard her crash in some thick stuff not 25 yards away. I proceeded to lower my bow. I turned to get my pack and remove my safety strap. When I looked back the buck was standing five yards from my bow watching it sway hanging there as if he were in a trance. Finally he just walked off. Weird

·
Registered
80 Posts
Ohio November morning. It was one of those magical mornings right place right time lot's of deer movement.
I got to stand about half hr before dark and deer already making there way to the field. (we stopped using this field so it was mainly tall grass in spots to allow cover for bedding and cover). A doe comes in well out of bow range, and I can tell she has problems, I can see bald spots one her she moving slow limping. A nice buck comes on following her he looks at her moves passed her she slowly clears the field.
Hr later I can see her back in the field from where she exited and it plenty day light and she is really messed up. A small crab craw 4pt is behind her and he is hitting her with his antlers. She falls down he just keeps sticking her with his antlers she gets up he still going at her. I can see hair flying she gos down again and he can't get her back up she stays down he stays few minutes sticking her trying to get her up.
I walk to where I last seen her and there is hair every where I'm tracking this deer by hair and walk right up to that doe. She opens her eyes and can't even pick her head up at that point. I used my last doe tag on that deer.

·
Pay It Forward
25,393 Posts
Saw lots of strange things, but certainly one of the strangest was watching a mature doe eat a dead trout. I was in a stand at a creek crossing...as it became light I noticed something on the creek bank about 20 yards away. Investigation with my binos helped me determine it was a dead trout, probably in the 16-18" range. About an hour later a small group of doe worked across and the largest of the doe stopped at the fish and proceeded to eat it?

·
Looking for a monster!
8,613 Posts
Have a blind and deaf doe behind my house. Can walk up to her pretty much anytime. She stays within 100 yds of the house usually. Took her a bit to warm up to my scent (her nose works just fine) but she lets me pet her. I try to approach her from upwind to not startle her. Followed me to the stand once last season like a puppy dog lol. Here’s a couple screen shots from a few videos I took of her. She’s was a fawn last season when I took these vids obviously. The last 2 pics are at the base of my stand lol
Leaf Plant Grass Fawn Terrestrial animal
Deer Fawn Terrestrial animal Plant Grass
Working animal Boar Fawn Terrestrial animal Grass
Organism Fawn Wood Terrestrial animal Grass

·
Registered
9,763 Posts
I shot a 5 yr old 8 point a few years back that had both G3s
Elk Natural material Deer Wood Sculpture
and one brow broken off. He ran 70 yards and piled up. While waiting for a possible doe, a similar buck (with a perfect rack, of course) comes through and makes his way to my dead deer where he proceeds to kick and gore him relentlessly until I finally spooked him off. There were tufts of hair all around my deer and holes and gouges all over him. I mounted him with that horrible cape, anyway. I've obviously seen turkeys do this a bunch, but I didn't know that deer did it, too. He must've been the neighborhood bully.

·
Registered
186 Posts
My buddy had a doe do the deer equivalent of rape on a buck decoy. Repeatedly backed into him and kept trying to get him to mount. When he wouldn't, she eventually knocked the decoy over and stomped it. Guess if you don't do what you're told in the deer woods you get whooped.

Watched a 160 or so inch buck mount a doe, breed and "fall off" like a buck rabbit. While he was comatose on the ground next to her a smaller 140 or so buck walked into the thicket and bred the same doe. Bigger buck still laying 2 feet away out cold.

Watched a small yearling doe harrassing a badger early winter 2 years ago. Followed him around for probably 500 yards snorting and stomping at him till he finally gave up on running and went in a hole.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Saw a doe swim around a lake for a while. Saw a doe swim the Ohio River from Ohio to Kentucky.

·
Registered
627 Posts
First year bowhunting with a longbow.. bowhunting period for that matter.. opening day Saturday, I shot at a doe with a yearling feeding on my bait pile.. I missed and she just jumped.. looked around and came back ! I was shaking so bad, I could not nock another arrow. A very young fawn then came out of the cover to feed with her .
She stomped her feet,, then took her front leg and put over the fawns back and turned it.. Then did the same to the yearling and proceeded to herd them back into cover .

So I try it again on Monday...
Shot my first buck! 2 does and a fawn with him. The doe did not run but about 10 feet and stopped after I shot the buck. She came back to the feed pile, looked around, stomped her feet. I could have shot her as well. I finally stood up in my stand 15 yards away and huffed at her. She finally ran.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Have a blind and deaf doe behind my house. Can walk up to her pretty much anytime. She stays within 100 yds of the house usually. Took her a bit to warm up to my scent (her nose works just fine) but she lets me pet her. I try to approach her from upwind to not startle her. Followed me to the stand once last season like a puppy dog lol. Here’s a couple screen shots from a few videos I took of her. She’s was a fawn last season when I took these vids obviously. The last 2 pics are at the base of my stand lol View attachment 7467140 View attachment 7467156 View attachment 7467157 View attachment 7467158
Very cool

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
My buddy had a doe do the deer equivalent of rape on a buck decoy. Repeatedly backed into him and kept trying to get him to mount. When he wouldn't, she eventually knocked the decoy over and stomped it. Guess if you don't do what you're told in the deer woods you get whooped.

Watched a 160 or so inch buck mount a doe, breed and "fall off" like a buck rabbit. While he was comatose on the ground next to her a smaller 140 or so buck walked into the thicket and bred the same doe. Bigger buck still laying 2 feet away out cold.

Watched a small yearling doe harrassing a badger early winter 2 years ago. Followed him around for probably 500 yards snorting and stomping at him till he finally gave up on running and went in a hole.
:LOL:

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
I saw a young buck charge at a skunk. Didn't work out for him. That skunk turned sideways & let it rip. You'd have thought that buck just stepped on a hornets nest with the way he jumped & kicked shook his head. Didn't take long before I had to climb down & leave, too!

1 - 20 of 42 Posts