Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello gents, I am looking for a good black bear guide service. i would like this spring, prefer spot n stalk. anyone with helpful info or experiences?

·
Vendor
90,763 Posts
trophy hunter guide and outfitting with lloyd gates is a good choice i used him for a fall hunt...he has spring hunts too

just contact me if you need help

·
That's a bear track!
28,860 Posts
If you're going to do spot & stalk, you don't really need a guide, you need a state. Someplace with alpine meadows or beaches would be he easiest to spot bear in.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
If you're going to do spot & stalk, you don't really need a guide, you need a state. Someplace with alpine meadows or beaches would be he easiest to spot bear in.
What state would you recommend?

·
That's a bear track!
28,860 Posts
What state would you recommend?
I live in Maine and hunt them here but this is a baiting situation. I lived in Alaska and did a lot of spot and stalk bear hunting there. That would be my first choice, but I'm biased. I'm sure a lot of other guys will chime in with good info.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is it fairly difficult to spot n stalk? I have never bear hunted hence the guide. Sitting over a bait pile isn't very appealing to me but I will if it comes down to it

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
i have no actual experience there, but idaho has a spring season, and it's a spot & stalk type of hunting.

the experience i do have is in canada, where it's so darn thick spot & stalk is pretty much out of the question. that being said, the area i hunt in new brunswick does have some huge clearcuts that might work for spot & stalk. pm me if you'd like the number of a couple outfitters in that area.

·
That's a bear track!
28,860 Posts
Is it fairly difficult to spot n stalk? I have never bear hunted hence the guide. Sitting over a bait pile isn't very appealing to me but I will if it comes down to it
It can be for a few reasons. Spotting a bear and making your way up to him while he stays put is one of the challenges. Most of the time, you're going to be clawing your way through some nasty tangles that slow you down and can also alert he bear. Or he may have just wandered off.

You can make out the avalanche chutes in the lower pic. That's one good spot to look as bear like to feed in them. And you can glass above tree line, especially productive with the snowpack being on in the spring.

You can make out a tiny little dot in the snow slide in the upper picture. About center of the pic, midway between where the two bluffs jut out. That's a big male brown bear busy courting a sow that you can't make out. That pic was taken late in the day and there wasn't enough light left to make a stalk. Two or three hours just to get close. That's the downside.

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts