Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
next week is the first bear season ever here in harlan county ky, I have never hunted bear and i was wondering what would be good to use at a bait site to attract a big one, and do spitfire broadheads work good on black bear, any help i can get will be much appreciated as im going for the state record, guess the first one killed will be the record lol.

·
Registered
594 Posts
I've never killed a bear, but would like to with my bow. I had a small one in range this fall I mean like 40 pounds. I hear that grease is good bait for bear good luck.

·
Registered
20,621 Posts
next week is the first bear season ever here in harlan county ky, I have never hunted bear and i was wondering what would be good to use at a bait site to attract a big one, and do spitfire broadheads work good on black bear, any help i can get will be much appreciated as im going for the state record, guess the first one killed will be the record lol.
Meat scraps work well, so does sweets, or even popcorn. It seems like they get used to one thing, and if you switch it up, it throws them off for a while. Pick something and stick with it.

Spitfires should work just fine. Black bear are pretty easy to kill, just shoot them tight behind the shoulder and watch `em go down in 30 yards or less.:)

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
old pastries, meat scraps dont work as well here so go sweet or go home. as for the broadhead question any of them work if they hit thier mark

·
Registered
10,964 Posts
dry packs of jello work wanders also:wink:

·
Registered
607 Posts
Get a big cheap bag of dog food. put out about 2-4 pounds per baiting. Then mix half your choice powdered jello mix (I prefer black berry) and half reg. sugar. sprinkle librally on dog food pile. do this 3 times a week if you cant do it that often then put more out at a time no less then twice a week or they'll lose intrest after the berrys ripen. The earlier you start and more frequently you bait the more will come. You dont need to get elaberate with your bait in the spring as they are like garbage disposals that time of year.

·
Registered
186 Posts
fryolater grease. Most restaraunts will give it too you. Jam, day old donuts, bread saoaked in molasses.

As far as spitfires i use them but would use a fixed blade on bears. Watch out for that shoulder when shooting. You DON'T want to hit it

1 - 8 of 8 Posts