Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I don't see many black recurve bow risers in target archery if any. Is there a reason why

·
Registered
25 Posts
I can't think of a reason. I have usually had a black riser. However, as a judge, I have to admit that when doing equipment checks, I do not see too many black risers. Perhaps it is because many people use dark strings and tend to lose the string blur, against a black riser. I noticed that immediately and use extremely bright yellow/green string material so it is easily seen.

·
Registered
20,776 Posts
ROSCO -

Well, I've had and still have a number of them.
Hoyt PMs, GMs, Axis, Radian, Aerotec, older Bears and BWs, etc.
While not as flashy as some of the brighter offerings, it's always understated, and goes with everything.

I'm sure some genius will chime in with the "fact" that black absorbs heat and can cause geometric/structural changes in the riser that can cost you that one critical point, while upsetting the balance of nature. Most likely, it's just what's in vogue this week...

Viper1 out.

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
Average age of archers... Young people prefer colors, then older you become, darker the riser is ...

·
Lowered expectations
17,104 Posts
I’m old, my 3 recurves are all black. When I started target archery in the early ‘70s, you had your choice of colors - you could have white OR black. Most people chose white.

Then McKinney showed up one day with an orange bow and it all went to hell.

·
Registered
10,858 Posts
The only color that REALLY didn't work out for me was a polished Spigarelli, it became absolutely blinding if the sun was behind me.
If anything a flat black riser and bright string seems like an advantage.

·
Registered
895 Posts
For those that live in the Southwestern US or hot climates, there are definitely issues with black risers and limbs.

If they are left out in the sun, the brace height and tiller can change.

·
Registered
8,612 Posts
Average age of archers... Young people prefer colors, then older you become, darker the riser is ...

Gee thanks, and just yestterday you had me convinced to imagine my riser as blue for more points...

·
Lowered expectations
17,104 Posts
Well, you still have your choice of imagining your blue riser as a dark, (almost black) navy blue, or a light (almost white) robin’s egg blue, or something in between. :)

·
Phoenix, AZ
2,035 Posts
Everyone knows that's because bows that are colorful and decorative are more forgiving and shoot more 10's...

:)

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,612 Posts
Well, you still have your choice of imagining your blue riser as a dark, (almost black) navy blue, or a light (almost white) robin’s egg blue, or something in between. :)

Cool! So which imaginary color will help me imagine the most points...

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
I like the lighter risers (orange primarily) as it is easier for me to pick up the string blur. I imagine I could also do that with light serving on a dark riser I just have not tried.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Other than my first Gold Medalist (TD4) I've avoided black risers simply because they don't hide chips, dings, and smudges as well as other colors.

·
Lowered expectations
17,104 Posts
Cool! So which imaginary color will help me imagine the most points...
Sorry, but that's something you’d have to tell us.

Dumb question...how do you know what your score is? Like, I mean, how do know if your assistant is telling you the truth?

·
Registered
8,612 Posts
Sorry, but that's something you’d have to tell us.

Dumb question...how do you know what your score is? Like, I mean, how do know if your assistant is telling you the truth?

Dishonesty from my spotter would just be a cruel discrimination of the disabled...

Actually, in training I worry less about scores and more about consistent groups; precision over accuracy is how I think of it. Since I have to resight in my aiming stand everytime I go to the range, the goal is first tighter groups, then just like any other sight I can move the groups towards the center.

Since I usually train without a spotter, some techniques I use may include smaller than competition-size targets; if I'm keeping them on the paper on a smaller face [regardless of actual scores], I will be competetive in events. On competition size targets I mark the X with a target peg, gives me a reference as to how close to the center I'm not. Then finally, when training alone and tracking scores as part of establishing "averages," I have a paracord with tactile markers at each ring which I peg to the X so I can score myelf; to keep me honest when using this technique I score everything inside out.

Now, my spotter in competition does occasionally mix up her 3 o'clocks and 9 o'clocks... Gets interesting when I'm making aiming adjustments and going the wrong way; she now [usually] draws a clock on her hand to keep it straight. As for trusting her scoring in competition, she doesn't want to cheat me of points and the other scorers are there to keep us from cheating to the positive.
Back to riser color... that's why I'm here, insight on those often neglected tuning tips; PFFT on brace height or tiller or center shot or spine, riser color will bring me to the next level I'm just sure of it.

·
Genesis 21:20
22,536 Posts
cuz they're friggin' hot on a Texas summer day. That's why

·
Lowered expectations
17,104 Posts
Dishonesty from my spotter would just be a cruel discrimination of the disabled
I hope it’s clear I was just kidding?

But thanks for the explanation of how you do train and know how you’re doing. It’s sometimes easy to take things for granted, and it’s always a wake-up call to learn about how some people have to do everyday things that most of us don’t even have to think about.

·
Registered
8,612 Posts
I hope it’s clear I was just kidding?

But thanks for the explanation of how you do train and know how you’re doing. It’s sometimes easy to take things for granted, and it’s always a wake-up call to learn about how some people have to do everyday things that most of us don’t even have to think about.

Well crap, wasn't clear, but then I often get similar questions, and my ego [meek as it is] takes every opportunity to make it all about me...

Like many ATers though, I do have 1" groups beyond 100m and I routinely shoot 60X in my backyard.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts