Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently shooting a Halon 32 6 with 31.5” draw length and between 55-60 poundage. According to Black Eagle’s chart, I am between a 300 and 350 spine. What would be the pros and cons between the two? Also wondering if i need to be shooting a 31.5” arrow or should leave it at 32”. Looking at carnivore and zombie slayers. Thanks for the help!

·
Shootin and Cussin
24,122 Posts
If it were me I'd cut the arrow, if necessary, so the broadhead stays in front of the riser. You would probably be ok at 350 but on the line with broadheads. I'd go 300 and be done with it.

·
Registered
9,887 Posts
350 is lighter and weaker. Anytime you are boarder line go with the stiffer shaft. The stiffer shaft will be easier to tune, especially with a fixed broad head. What are you using this arrow for? If hunting go stiffer for sure, for 3D you might want to go lighter and cut the shaft shorter (if you have a full capture rest). I have a 31" draw and shoot 56 pounds from a 345 IBO bow. My hunting arrow weight 550 grains and is a .260 spine cut at 30" with 225 grains up front. It shoots a fixed head and tunes perfectly. The computer programs recommend a .300 spine, which I tested, but I have found the .260 more forgiving and I don't mind the extra weight for hunting. My 3D arrow weight 300 grains and is a .350 spine. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
350 is lighter and weaker. Anytime you are boarder line go with the stiffer shaft. The stiffer shaft will be easier to tune, especially with a fixed broad head. What are you using this arrow for? If hunting go stiffer for sure, for 3D you might want to go lighter and cut the shaft shorter (if you have a full capture rest). I have a 31" draw and shoot 56 pounds from a 345 IBO bow. My hunting arrow weight 550 grains and is a .260 spine cut at 30" with 225 grains up front. It shoots a fixed head and tunes perfectly. The computer programs recommend a .300 spine, which I tested, but I have found the .260 more forgiving and I don't mind the extra weight for hunting. My 3D arrow weight 300 grains and is a .350 spine. Hope this helps.
Thanks everyone for the help! Should have mentioned these arrows are for hunting whitetails, good to know to go with the stiffer of the two!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Shootingairborne
10,599 Posts
Thanks everyone for the help! Should have mentioned these arrows are for hunting whitetails, good to know to go with the stiffer of the two!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'd recommend going stiffer as well. Also I'd spin test the arrows and cut from the end that wobbles or both ends. It's all personal preference. But I like to cut from both ends and square off.

Good luck.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts