Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wanting to hunt turkey in the Black Hills next year can anyone give me any info? Thanks

·
Registered
6,583 Posts
I am wanting to hunt turkey in the Black Hills next year can anyone give me any info? Thanks
more info than what? give us some idea of what you want to know?;)

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
more info than what? give us some idea of what you want to know?;)
Should I do the Outfitter thing or hunt public ground, I really don't know where to start. I don't know anything about the Black Hills, what part holds alot of birds, where to stay?

·
Registered
6,583 Posts
Should I do the Outfitter thing or hunt public ground, I really don't know where to start. I don't know anything about the Black Hills, what part holds alot of birds, where to stay?
o.k. now were gettinng somewhere...lol

PUBLIC, black hills is made up of 100 miles north to south by 50 miles east to west of public land, ya there alot to cover....
early in the season hunt around Custer S.D. spring gets there early, tons of birds, lots of forest roads out of there...later in year Spearfish, Sturgis areas are good to work.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
o.k. now were gettinng somewhere...lol

PUBLIC, black hills is made up of 100 miles north to south by 50 miles east to west of public land, ya there alot to cover....
early in the season hunt around Custer S.D. spring gets there early, tons of birds, lots of forest roads out of there...later in year Spearfish, Sturgis areas are good to work.
Thanks, that gives me a place to start.

·
Registered
6,583 Posts

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Black Hills of Wyoming also holds a lot of birds. I am from Spearfish, and have lived here for 24 years and have never hunted turkeys in the Black Hills, i'm a private land, prairie guy, but there are turkeys everywhere in the hills. Just put your time in, and you'll get one. The southern hills does have a lot of birds, and i've always heard around Custer is good.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Go public, plenty of land. We did well just south of Spearfish and also got into birds on the southwest corner of the hills. We got lucky the year we went . The weather was cool the opening week and it rained off and on all week. Snowed one day while hunting in Wyoming ,a couple inches. The year after we went , they got 18" of snow opening week! If I go again, it will be a little later in the season.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts