Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just received this 40# longbow from mandarin duck last week and the limbs are slightly misaligned. It's a little less than 1/16" off with both limbs. Both limbs tilt counter-clockwise when looking at the belly of the riser. The location pins are snug. It shoots fairly well out to 10 yards right now but I haven't been able to test it at longer distances yet.

They've offered me a 25% refund as compensation... A lotta folks here and elsewhere seem to love these bows and the draw experience of the bamboo is great but this is pretty disappointing, even for a budget bow. For other folks out there considering buying this bow, there appears to be at least 1 bad mold at their manufacturing facility for these newer MK II bows.

With this amount of misalignment I'm not sure what to expect down the road. Warped limbs? Inaccuracy past 20-30 yards? Or is this not a big deal? Any feedback would be appreciated.

Lesson learned: I shoulda ordered from Twig.

unaligned.1.jpg

unaligned.2.jpg

unaligned.3.jpg

·
Registered
2,802 Posts
There are no "molds" and wood isn't perfect...especially when one riser isn't made specifically for one set of limbs.

If it were me, the only thing that would matter is if the limbs are straight and the string tracks properly. If that isn't the case, I would demand an exchange. If it is the case, I wouldn't worry about it one bit. The only thing that will affect the accuracy is you.

KPC

·
Registered
65 Posts
Good ol Mandarin duck, yeah that looks like their shoddy work. If you are gonna buy these types of bows, buy them from an American distributor. They at least have some quality control. It's unfortunate that this bow became known as the " Mandarin Duck" black hunter, because they straight up told me in order to keep the cost down they use lower grade material than they did back in 2017-2018, so they are basically selling factory seconds.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good ol Mandarin duck, yeah that looks like their shoddy work. If you are gonna buy these types of bows, buy them from an American distributor. They at least have some quality control. It's unfortunate that this bow became known as the " Mandarin Duck" black hunter, because they straight up told me in order to keep the cost down they use lower grade material than they did back in 2017-2018, so they are basically selling factory seconds.
Yah I definitely shoulda ordered from Twig... Lesson learned for sure.

·
Registered
605 Posts
The risers are made with cnc equipment and I have never seen one with a flaw. So my guess is the riser is fine and the locator holes in your limbs are off center. Can you measure if they are indeed dead center in the limbs? Or are the steel dowel pins not centered in the riser?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The risers are made with cnc equipment and I have never seen one with a flaw. So my guess is the riser is fine and the locator holes in your limbs are off center. Can you measure if they are indeed dead center in the limbs? Or are the steel dowel pins not centered in the riser?
You're absolutely correct. The bolt bushings and alignment pins on the riser are centered. I removed the felt from the limbs to get some measurements and the locator holes are off by a little less than 1/16".

·
Embrace the suck!
7,898 Posts
I bet mandarin duck will send you new limbs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Got my money back today. Their customer support quickly offered a full refund or exchange after I sent them a video showing warping on the upper limb. They made it right and I appreciate that but for anyone thinking about ordering the Black Hunter MK II Longbow (40#) from Mandarin Duck: they've got some manufacturing and QA issues with the limbs.

Thanks all for the advice.

·
Embrace the suck!
7,898 Posts
I wonder if they got a whole batch of bad ones. I assume those limbs are in a fixture when drilled. How in the heck can they be so far off?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yah, I can't be the only one. Mistakes happen but that's some extremely shoddy manufacturing/QA.

·
Registered
2,802 Posts
Just curious, can you post a picture of the bottom side of the limb butt? Like this...

KPC

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No prob. My celfone lens is pretty crappy but the locator hole is off by about 3/64".

68097.jpg

1 - 13 of 13 Posts