Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Shoot compounds, want to get into traditional, I am going to get #30 limbs to practice then #45 to hunt white tail and turkey with, I have been pretty set on the Sage but the more I see the black hunter the more I like it, I have shot both at the archery shop but they feel about the same to me, anyone with more knowledge can tell me if the black hunter is worth the extra $20 or not? the sage is $114 and the hunter is $130-140 shipped. any advice thank you I have a 28 inch draw and I am 5'7 so not a very big guy

·
Lowered expectations
19,639 Posts
Sage.

Because you can use a lot of different brands of limbs on the same riser. Not "ILF", but any number of bow in the same class from different manufacturers use the same (or easily modified) limb size.

·
Civil but Disobedient
7,445 Posts
See NuSensei's review of the Black Hunter. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbKa9UIOvDA

It is interesting seeing his form degrade shooting the heavy weight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbKa9UIOvDA

He also did a review the Samick Sage https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktp9SGutJo8

The Sage has the advantage of being two inches longer at 62. That is still too short for my draw length. If I had a choice I would choose the Sage over the Black Hunter just because of the bow length.

It may be fine at your draw length.

The Sage is also drilled for a plunger, but not a stabilizer. That is unimportant if you never plan on using a rest and plunger setup. I would rank the Sage higher if you could put a short stabilizer on it.

The Black Hunter wins on looks. Also notice in the video that the grip on the Black Hunter supports a grip like what I use target shooting and not what is typically used for traditional. Since I constantly hear that grip is the most important feature, this should be a consideration.

You may be able to form the grip for better fit. Otherwise, this is a test of whether grip is really more important than looks for most archers.

·
Lowered expectations
19,639 Posts
Would the Phantom 56 be a better bow for me since I am short?
If you’re talking about the Mandarin Duck Phantom, I really like this bow, but I think it’s an improvement to put Sage or similar limbs on the Phantom riser. I have 4 of them, 2 standard 56” versions and 2 with Samick Polaris limbs (discontinued, but pretty much the same as Sage limbs). Everyone who has tried them has been very pleasantly surprised.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Is the black hunter a durable bow? i know the samick and the black hunter havent been around for 20+ years but i want something I can keep for the rest of my life assuming no catastrophic failure or my home burning down haha I want something that will last.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Forgive my presumption, but I think you’re thinking way too far ahead with respect to a $100 - $150 bow.
Additionally, I believe an owner is far more likely to break a bow (any bow) than it is to fail on its own. The same thought goes for almost any commodity, especially in hobbies and sports.

·
Registered
708 Posts
I bought the Black Hunter for my wife and we both are pleased. I was actually surprised at the fit and finish of the bow considering the price, and it shoots very well. I have posted pics of it on AT before because it is so beautiful. Tree Soil Plant Grass Landscape

·
Registered
33 Posts
Black Hunter is much better bow IMO. The hybrid longbow version shoots great and it draws smooth to 31" even though it's only 60" bow.

What's more, you can get the Black Hunter directly from Aliexpress for about $95 and replacement limbs for less than $50.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts