Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guy/gals lets start with this isn't intended to be a bash post but more on the line of a question concerning two bow companies.
First as I went through and checked out Widows stuff I noticed a section which had some Martin recurves. Basically it states Martins are good starter bows you know good quality and good prices but when your ready to step up to the best and spend a ho lot more order the Widow. Now I've heard the Widow called the cadillac of bows which others bows compare themselves to, but is this true? I mean I've also heard shooters say their Dream Catchers or Mambas are the best around. I don't want this to fit in the which is best type post I'm to old for that game I'm more curious on knowing are the Widows just that good for the price that they command? I mean they defintely have a good look to them but so does a Dream Catcher. I guess the bottom line is are they in two different leagues? I ask this because I have not shot either one of them.
Thanks
Out for now

·
Registered
334 Posts
First off, I've never owned a black widow, and I am mainly a compound shooter that likes to play with a recurve now and then. So take this as it is meant to be. JMO
Two years ago I was looking to buy a recurve to play with, so I looked around, and really liked the way the dreamcatcher looked, so I had the shop owner that I worked for order me one, because noone had one in stock. When it came in I immediatly took it out, strung it, and shot. Now remember, this is just my opinion...It about jarred my head off, and the twang was horrible. We tryed differant arrows, differant brace hieghts, nothing worked. So, we packaged it back up, and sent it on its marry way.
Now, another guy at the shop owned a black widow that he let me shoot some. Personally I thought it was a great bow. The quality was DEFINANTLY better. $500-$700 better. I don't know about that. But I couldn't afford that for just a toy anyway, so I didn't have to make that decision.
If you can, get someone to let you shoot theirs a little to see if it is worth it to you.
OH! By the way, I ended up with a Roy Hall Navajo II. The cost was somewhere right in between the Dreamcatcher and the Widow. But, IMO, the quality is definantly put into this bow just a well as both of the others.
Micah

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
:) EX-DIVER: I will tell you that I have shot widows and they are nice. I am not a widow man though. I prefer Bob Lee bows over them. I don't care for the look of the widow. The widow bows are NOT poor quality and, I know people who would shoot nothing but a widow because they like the way they were treated when they ordered it and were pleased with how they shoot. I do agree they are nice but, there are other bowyers out there making just as good a bow. YOU WILL NEVER HEAR ME BASH ANY MANS CHOICES WHEN IT COMES TO BOWS AS FAR AS TRADITIONAL OR COMPOUND. The widow bows hold their value and, as I said it comes down to a personal preference. I feel that if one decides that a custom made bow is or can be afforded by anyone it comes down to personal choice. I know that a custom bow is a big ticket item for most of us and, will admit I got alot of money put into mine. I really think for the most part if you have the chance to shoot a few different top of the line customs you can make a decision from there and go with what you like. Yes- the widows are a fine bow worthy of being called top of the line but, I also believe other bowyers that I will not list because I don't want to forget and, leave anyones name out are also worthy of being called a great bow. My goal here is not to bash any bowyers product but, to tell others that there are choices. Why does everyone compare a custom to Black Widow? I can't say. For me I believe one can make a choice and go with it. It depends on what you want to spend and what you really like in a custom made bow.

·
Registered
5,105 Posts
The BW recurves are truly awesome shooting machines. Are they overpriced?? That is a personal question. I did not think so. They also hold their value like no other.

Dan

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bows

Thanks guys for the responses. Being up here in the NW I really haven't seen to many Widows around, you know 3d or at any shoots up here. Could be geographics I guess or maybe because we have alot of great bowyers up here, WA, OR, ID and MT already. But I would like to shoot one some day, just for Shts&Giggles.
Anyways have fun

Out for now

1 - 6 of 6 Posts