Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who has been on this hunt recently? I went for 10 years, but that's been over 10 years ago. (For those not familiar, this is a Georgia barrier island - opens two weekends a year for archery only hunts). Hot, usually raining, mosquitoes the size of robins, hard walking through soft sand, and palmetto thickets you couldn't bulldoze through. I loved it. Just wondering what its like anymore.

·
Registered
4,370 Posts
Who has been on this hunt recently? I went for 10 years, but that's been over 10 years ago. (For those not familiar, this is a Georgia barrier island - opens two weekends a year for archery only hunts). Hot, usually raining, mosquitoes the size of robins, hard walking through soft sand, and palmetto thickets you couldn't bulldoze through. I loved it. Just wondering what its like anymore.
I hunted Ossabaw Island of GA last year and it was just as you described. Pig numbers were down as they have done a good job thinnning them out but it was on a draw hunt that allowed any weapon.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I will be going this year to Blackbeard and Harris Neck. Hopefully I will get picked for the Ossabaw Hunt too. I haven't hunted it before but I have been on Blackbeard Island it is still the same for the most part.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was wondering if they still required a GA hunting license to hunt there. I didn't mind so much when I lived in GA, but after moving it got to be $$$. Its a Federal Wildlife area, so I argued that a state license wasnt needed. Didn't get me anywhere, though. Got to pay to play.

·
Registered
82 Posts
yes you need a Ga hunting License.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Good-lots of deer
Bad-lots of rattlesnakes
Back in the day we used mountain bikes to hunt the north end of the island.
Haven't been there in 10 years.

·
Registered
6,153 Posts
I used to love that hunt. Went for several years and had a blast. Not gonna kill big deer there but still a lot of fun. Gotta go back someday

1 - 8 of 8 Posts