Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Until I get paid to advertise my gear, I’m just gonna say I use telekinesis.
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At what poundage @ 28 in do you think a three blade becomes really effective? Last year I had my archery shop tech help me with an arrow build and he said at my bows draw weight (46# @ 28, I draw 28.5) he wouldn’t go for a three blade. I agreed with him.

It got me wondering though, at what poundage would a three blade be great at?

·
Registered
PSE Ferocity, Elite Enlist, some KTBs
168 Posts
I suppose this might be more of a cross section area vs. poundage question.

·
Corripe Cervisiam
22,778 Posts
I don't think there is a hard and fast rule on that especially since there is such a wide variety of different designs.

IME, you can't compare a long tapered Trailmaker to a 3 blade chisel point head......the longer tapered COC designs penetrate effortlessly in both 2 and 3 blade. When you start getting in to the big 3 blade heads like a Snuffer, you get some resistance due to the size of the thing....where it seems that a 2 blade just zips through everything even with low energy.

I dunno what the cutoff would be but the skinny 3 blades are pretty impressive.

_

Reactions: Pyme and ember

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
Here is an experiment for you: take a few heads mount them on shafts cut full length. Insert weight is not important. Take a 12 inch by 12 inch piece of tanned deer hide and center that piece on the tip of one broadhead at a time and lightly pull that hide down on that broadhead. You will be amazed how little effort it takes for a well sharpened coc 2 blade to slice right thru. Almost zero effort. Now try the 3 blade. Even with a well sharpened 3 blade you will be equally surprised by how much you are able to flex your arrow before the head makes it into and through the hide. That shaft flex approximates the lost energy required to drive the head through the hide. Saw Paul Brunner do this eons ago, so cant take credit for the experiment. This test assumes sharpened coc heads. If you try this with some modern heads you will be appalled. Wear eye and hand protection, pls.

·
Registered
Compound and bare bow recurve.
1,034 Posts
I have also seen the above mentioned leather test performed by Dale Karch from 3 rivers archery, but I have also seen people with low poundage bows cleanly harvest deer with three blade heads. I still think staying off the shoulder with a sharp BH is the key. A friend of mine shoots a 125 grain montec with a easton aluminum arrow out of a 38 pound recurve. He is one of the most successful recurve hunters I know.

·
Registered
PSE Ferocity, Elite Enlist, some KTBs
168 Posts
If I remember correctly, tri-blades (with an 120° angle between blades) have several disadvantages when hitting a stronger bone. They do not split it as easily as a two-blade head.
But I suppose with about 45# from a recurve, you want to avoid femurs and such in general.

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
The question is too generic.

As Beendare points out, not all "3 blades" are created equally.

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
Nothing is certain in these things. We play as close to a sure thing as possible, and/or feel comfortable with. Awesome job on that big buck! At 40 lbs, recurve, I am sticking to 225 grains up front, 100 of which is insert, and 125 of which is Tusker Spirit screw-in, a 600 spine gold tip at 30 inches c2c. I lost a buck with a 3 blade once. He ducked and it hit the scapula. I searched until waaaay past midnight, and felt sick about it for quite some time. I made the decision to go 2 blade after that, and aim a tad lower. Everything we do should be to stack the deck, and also do our best, whether it's 2 blades, or six.

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
I don't really think blade numbers or sharpness makes much difference compared to arrow tune. Field points go through whitetails, if that's what we're discussing. Shoot an untuned arrow and you've lost a good deal of potential penetration.

Bowmania

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
A super sharp broadhead enters an animal fishing tailing and poirposing - less kinetic energy.

vs.

A fairly sharp broadhead shot from same bow entering an animal dead straight with more kinetic energy.

Tough question, who prefers which?

I know one thing, the fairly sharp arrow will be more accurate but shave sharp gives much more penetration.

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
A fishtailing arrow gets a lot less KE energy from the bow, plus when it impacts at any angle less than 90 degrees it looses more.

I have a friend that shot 2 whitetails in the chest with field points. Not on purpose but on second shots he grabbed the wrong arrow. If my memory serves me correctly one was a judo. Both were hit in the chest and both had two holes. Neither were very 'sharp'.

Really doesn't matter who's correct, because sharpness and tune are both correctable before the season opens. If you don't know how to tune a broadhead look at the end of this - www.fenderarchery.com/blogs/archery-info/basic-tuning.

Bowmania

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Well as hunting archers you should do your due diligence and have a properly tuned set up, scary sharp broadhead, be accurate and stay in your range and then it won't matter if you choose 2 or 3 blade.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,104 Posts
Two years ago I shot a whitetail with a 46# Max 6 ILF and 3 blade Snuffers. Arrows were on the light side at 390 grains. But speed was 192 fps. It still went up to the fletching. Entered between the last two ribs and quartered forward coming out 3 ribs back of the shoulder. The arrow exited on the far side as she ran. No deer last year but I went back to heavier aluminums.
It is a compromise between heavier arrow weight and acceptable trajectory that you make.

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
I want very badly to use my 3 blade woodsman blood groove this year....but then i think what if i didnt get good penetration? Would i regret my choice? If i choose the best possible option and it still doesnt work, at least i did all i could.

Im shooting a well tuned #41. 420 grain arrows. Im sticking with a 2 blade and hoping for the best.

·
Registered
Compound and bare bow recurve.
1,034 Posts
44 pound recurve, 416 grain arrow with a two blade Magnus Stinger should do the trick at deer 20 yards and under. Broadheads are flying great...

·
Corripe Cervisiam
22,778 Posts
I have seen what Bowmania described; poor arrow penetration by arrows with a slight wobble.

Ive seen arrows with a mech head get an inch of penetration and cartwheel out.…heck yeah arrow flight matters. A more efficient COC Bh will help a lot but not solve poor flight.

Peripheral to this topic but, I think some of the poor penetration by compound guys using mech heads can be attributed to poor arrow flight. Most guys shooting those dont BH tune.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts