Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just took my first stab at fletching my own arrows and I think I did a pretty good job overall. I was using an Arizona E-Z Fletch Mini, Black Blazer Vanes and Loctite Gel Control. My first two attempts are abysmal and I burned through 12 vanes but I got the hang of it shortly after. I did however notice on 2 of the arrows I fletched, that one of the vanes on each was slightly lower than the other two. Will this affect flight at all? Do I need to re-fletch them or will they be fine?
photo-22.jpg
You can see the vane on the top is lower than the one on the bottom.

·
Registered
70 Posts
It's common. Will not cause any problems. After observing a bunch a fellow archers arrows at 3-d shoots, those look like most I have seen.

·
Back Yard Champion
30,730 Posts
More than likely it won't hurt a thing. You have to get pretty sloppy before.....Well, you decide - backwards, out to 30 yards. 2 vanes, 20 yards.

Attachments

·
Registered
365 Posts
How much glue are you using? When I use loctite it always seems to get pushed out and all over the jig. I feel like I'm not using to much but maybe I am.

·
Registered
11,942 Posts
I had one so that on my blazer helix jig because I didn't knock arrow all the way down but it shot fine.

·
Archery Addict
9,273 Posts
some people even stagger the fletching intentionally and it doesn't hurt one bit

·
Registered
7,578 Posts
How much glue are you using? When I use loctite it always seems to get pushed out and all over the jig. I feel like I'm not using to much but maybe I am.
More is not better with the cyanocrylate adhesives.

Try this, instead of trying to lay a tiny bead of gel on the vane, apply the stuff as tiny beads, evenly spaced, and then quickly even the gel out on the vane with a toothpick. (Discard toothpick, BTW). I found it was easier to get good adhesion this way than any other technique.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I have seen guys with all three vanes offset each a 1/4 inch. As to why they do that puts more spin on the arrows and not as much wind drift.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Second question: Are my vanes too far down on the shaft? I pushed the arrow into the EZ Fletch mini until it felt like the nock clicked into place and became stable. As I look at pics of arrows, it seems like the fletchings should be closer to the nock.
photo-23.jpg
What do you all think?

·
Back Yard Champion
30,730 Posts
Approx. 1" from the end of the shaft is factory. You follow the instructions correctly for the jig?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Blacked out arrows. I like 'em!
Their awesomeness shall only hit tens.

·
Registered
4,265 Posts
When I fletch my shafts I put them as close as I can to the back, without contact to my face. Never measured how far that is though.

·
Registered
7,322 Posts
Second question: Are my vanes too far down on the shaft? I pushed the arrow into the EZ Fletch mini until it felt like the nock clicked into place and became stable. As I look at pics of arrows, it seems like the fletchings should be closer to the nock.
View attachment 2023801
What do you all think?
Way too far down compared to standard factory position but they'll probably fly OK. Like Sonny said, seems like something went wrong in following the directions.

I tried setting mine about 1/2" from the nock once, they didn't fly any different or better than standard position and looked weird so I went back to the standard 1".

·
Registered
6,928 Posts
Most folks like them closer to the nock, but that is the only option you get when you use a Mini. You can't adjust how far from the nock the vanes are, and they put them that far up the shaft to make sure they get pretty well universal facial clearance.

·
Mark
5,918 Posts
View attachment 2023801
What do you all think?
Did you have the end of the fletch touching the end of the slot close to the pivot hinge point or the far end of the slot. Should be at the hinge end.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts