Archery Talk Forum banner

Blazer vanes, what helical should i use and why?

8520 Views 23 Replies 16 Participants Last post by  Christopher67
New to AT, always used Cabelas forums but this site appears much better for my Archery addiction!!

Ive been shooting all types of differant helical set ups and using differant Jigs. Most recently ive been using my Bitzenburger with a right 2 degree helical. Shoots great but would like to know what you guys think is best.

Second, ive been using the Arizona jig with the right 6 degree helical.

How will each help or hurt my shooting out to 45 yards which is my max as of now?
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
3,857 Posts
Less twist < less drag = faster flight . If your bow is tuned properly, arrows match bow weight and your form is good , you won't really have to depend on heavy helical fletching to fix that arrow flight. Some broadheads will give you more trouble in tuning than the others , but lotsa folks use reg. 2 deg. straight fletch on 3" vanes without a hiccup... It is trial and error kinda deal.. You just have to find a proper balance for yourself....

32,934 Posts
I use the Arizona EZ mini fletcher with a good right helical. I believe it improves accuracy. The little Mini is a great fletcher for target or hunting arrows.

· Registered
785 Posts
I use the Arizona EZ fletcher not the mini. with right helical I believe its 6 degrees. I just switched away from 2" Blazers to 3" Vantec super spine. I feel with the longer shorter vanes and the 6 degrees it gives me a tighter group with my broadheads

· Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was leaning towards the 2 degree, but thanks for the input. my bow is tuned well and im thinking i wont need the extra helical. Ill continue to shoot the arizona fletched arrows in practice to see if i can see the differance. I got 12 new arrows ready to go and will fletch 6 with the Bizenburger and see how they fly. Im hoping the Ramcats dont disapoint me. Just swithched from the rage cause i had a blade deploi early, And the Ramcat is a little cheaper. Took 3 deer with the rage this year and they worked great even the one that opened early sealed the deal. Thanks again!!!!

· Registered
2,512 Posts
What he said..The mini puts a 3 degree helical compared to the 6 degree the regular arizona ez fletcher does. The mini was designed specifically to put helical on blazers only. Using the standard Arizona EZ fletch you will hardly notice the helical except for at very end of the vane..Just bought the mini and love it..Helical is perfect and looks darn cool too..I called Arizona before purchasing and they confirmed the mini is not a 6 degree helical but a 3 degree
I use the Arizona EZ mini fletcher with a good right helical. I believe it improves accuracy. The little Mini is a great fletcher for target or hunting arrows.

· Registered
2,175 Posts
Bohning says 3 degree right offset and some other fella's stated that's ideal - I use a bitz and guess at degree (don't know how you know) the EZ Fletch (I owned three) were a sick joke and an embarassment to the sport, don't know why some folk's like them but I don't. Target guys have said 3 degree right offset and that's what Bohning says - love those Blazers

· Registered
2,512 Posts
Bohning says 3 degree right offset and some other fella's stated that's ideal - I use a bitz and guess at degree (don't know how you know) the EZ Fletch (I owned three) were a sick joke and an embarassment to the sport, don't know why some folk's like them but I don't. Target guys have said 3 degree right offset and that's what Bohning says - love those Blazers
Can you elaborate as to why they are a "sick joke and embarassment"..What types of issues did you have?? Just about everyone here on AT who has tried it have all been impressed..And as stated before the mini is a 3 degree...To each his own but if you are going to bash a product at least explain why you were unhappy with it so the person who posted this can have an idea as to what the negatives are of it...

· Registered
14,546 Posts
i like a straight clamp and offset as much as you can to get vane on shaft with complete contact

· Registered
1,134 Posts
Haven't tried the AZ mini -- but definately interested. I have been using the Bohning Helix Jig without a hiccup. Very user friendly and puts on a great helical. Very good at stabilizing broadheads

· Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I was mistaken about when i said that i was putting on a 2 degree helical with the Bitz. I should have said what (Dwagoner) stated as i use a straight clamp and off set the vane on the shaft. As per the 2 degrees, that was my best guess at explaining the offset i was able to attain with good contact to shaft. im definitely going to check out the mini and read some reviews. Good stuff!!!! Looks like the rain gear is gona go on for me tomorrow. more rain.

· Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
bought the Arizona mini and set up 6 arrows, see how they fly with the RamCats!!!!!!!!!!

· Registered
2,797 Posts
I have the Bitzenburger/Zenith Mod. with the straight clamp and occasionally borrow my neighbor's right helical. Whether using the straight , or the right helical, I really don't know what the angle is. How does one tell? I don't think the offset adjustment knobs indicate the angle, at least I didn't see anything in the owner's manual. I usually try to max out the helix angle while keeping the base of the vane in solid contact with the shaft at each end of the vane. Wish there was a way to tell what the angle is. Anyone know?

I also have the Arizona Carbon EZ fletcher & like it except I have a tendency to "smear" the fletching glue when clamping the arms. It's really nice to be able to do (3) vanes at a time. I'm told by AEZ that the helical arms for the Mini can be purchased separately (P/N CM2 @ $16.95 + S&H) and can be installed on the Carbon EZ fletcher. You can do the same (helical arms P/N CA2 @ $16.95) for the regular AEZ fletcher. This sounds like a great way to have both the Carbon straight & the Mini helical EZ fletchers, and I'm thinking of doing this so I can fletch 2" Blazers at a helix.

And, I have the JoJan fletcher with both the straight & helical clamps. If it wasn't for how easy it is to shift the nock end of the shaft off the nock receiver, I'd like it a lot better.

At this point, I think the the Mini helical arms on the AEZ Carbon fletcher may be a good option to fletch 2" Blazers on my Axis arrows.

· Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I just looked at the agnle and guess. When i was using my Bitz i would off set the bottum to the left and the top to the right maximinzing the contact and offset. been shooting the Arizona arrows and im liking them alot. I have about 12 arrows fletched with the ARZ and think im gona stick with them for now.

· Registered
609 Posts
I picked up the Arizona EZ Fletch mini last week. I fletched a dozen arrows in less that an hour and they turned out great. It couldn't have been any easier. This was the first time I've ever fletched my own arrows. I was really impressed with this product. It put a great twist on the Blazers.

· Registered
16,803 Posts
Can someone explain to me whats better VS the other & why?

1.Right Hand Offset - What does this do?
2.Right Hand Helical - " "
3.Left Hand Helical - " "
4.Straight - No Spin?

Can someone that knows explain what each one of these fletching orientations do & does it matter IF you're a right hand shooter or a left hand shooter? Also forgot to add does it matter what rest you're using(Whisker Biscuit ect...)

· Registered
294 Posts
RH offset is when the fletch is NOT "twisted, but NOT parallel to the shaft. This will impart a small amount of rotation to the shaft Clockwise looking at the nock end of arrow.
Right hand helical is the flething "has a twist in it" and is offset to the right. This will cause the most right hand rotation.
Left hand ofset and lefthand helical are exactly backwards of the opposite.
Straight does not spin..

The above helical is WAAAAY OVERKILL.... But itll steer about anything ya put upfront.
A helical will impart the most rotation into the arrow, and will cause the point of impact to be somewhere within a circle,
Straight fletchings the arrow can just plane off in whatever direction it wants.
Left hand helical is usually only seen used for arrows being shot off of the SHELF of a LEFT handed bow. "traditional archery"

WHisker biscuits will stand up to some pretty damn severe helical's before ya run into issues

Put a hard lefthand helical on your fletchings and shoot broadheads, and see if you get your broadhead back..... sometimes they can completely un screw "depending on the target"

· Registered
294 Posts
If anyone is going to ask what degree helical that is.... Sorry. I do not remember, but the back of one fletch overlaps the front of the next, so its a BUNCH! "too much"

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.