Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to try blazers this year and I'm starting my testing early so I can decide before turkey season...... I bought a Helix jig for them and have several Bitz jigs as well.

Any tips or tricks? Suggestions?
and more importantly what is your technique (prep, application, adhesives, set time.... etc.)

as always, Thanks in advance for your time and the helpful responses.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I fletch on wraps so there is no prep. I too use the Helix jig and I use Bohning Fletch-Tite Platinum adhesive. I like to apply the vane and then press clamp down with a little thumb pressure on eash side for about 10-15 seconds. Make sure you don't push arrow forward slightly when doing this and then don't be in no hurry to start the next vane. I wait at least 30 minutes. Get a good vane every time. :wink:

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
I use wraps, Bohning Fletch Tite Platinum glue, fletch the Blazers with my Arizona EZ Fletch and let 'em set overnight. They are there for good.

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
I've been using them for quite a few years now. I don't do alot of prep. I use carbon shafts and give them a light sanding with very fine sandpaper. Then wipe em clean with alcohol. I don't prep the vanes at all. I use an Arizona EZ Fletch with right helical. I load the jig and use super glue GEL, the gel won't run. Let em set in the jig for a couple minutes and they're ready for flight. You literally can't pull em off with a pair of pliers.

·
Registered
12,895 Posts
Loc-Tite Ultra Gel .. black label

·
Registered
5,042 Posts
I fletch on wraps so there is no prep. I too use the Helix jig and I use Bohning Fletch-Tite Platinum adhesive. I like to apply the vane and then press clamp down with a little thumb pressure on eash side for about 10-15 seconds. Make sure you don't push arrow forward slightly when doing this and then don't be in no hurry to start the next vane. I wait at least 30 minutes. Get a good vane every time. :wink:
I also use the Helix jig with platinum and use pressure for about 10-15 seconds. About the only thing I do different is I put a drop of Quantum XT ont the front and back of each vane to keep them from pulling up if they go all the way into a target

·
Registered
5,343 Posts
I've been using them for quite a few years now. I don't do alot of prep. I use carbon shafts and give them a light sanding with very fine sandpaper. Then wipe em clean with alcohol. I don't prep the vanes at all. I use an Arizona EZ Fletch with right helical. I load the jig and use super glue GEL, the gel won't run. Let em set in the jig for a couple minutes and they're ready for flight. You literally can't pull em off with a pair of pliers.
Yep. Exactly what he said.

·
Registered
36,982 Posts
I traded all my Blazers for Fusion vanes , best move I made as far as vanes are concerned .

·
Registered
805 Posts
Prep: use de-natured alcohol to wipe both the shaft and the glue channel of the fletch.

I use an Arizona EZ fletch also and Fletch-Tite Platinum, let it sit in jig for bout 30 min, take out and put a dab of Platinum on the front of the fletch.

That is it. Works great.

·
Anti Fanboy
42,158 Posts
I use wraps also. I set my jig for max offset and it actually puts some helical on them too. Don't know what degree it is.
I have never had a fletching come off even when I fletch without wraps. I use Flex-Bond for glue. Its a little slower to set up but you cannot pull a fletching off when its dry. Love my Blazers.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Yep. Exactly what he said.
I have never seens why all the doodads costing a sh,,,load of $$ does anything else than the superglue GEL does.. Its ALL the same= cyanoacrylate glue. No big secret there. I have vanes that have been shot EVERY day for the past two years, including pass throughs in the target and i cannot pull them off with my leatherman pliers....:darkbeer:

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Definately use wraps. I also use Loctite gel. I get a lot of helical by setting my Bitz just a hair under the 0 and putting the vane 1" from the nock.

·
Registered
966 Posts
I've been using them for about three years now with no problem. I clean the carbon shaft with alcohol put on a Blazer wrap, use my Bitz jig. and Arizona Archery Fast Set Gel. I put them on with an off-set, and shoot them through a Whisker Buiscut. And after three years have not had any fall off. I leave them in the jig longer than the glue recommends 15 minutes each.

Good Luck.:)

·
Registered
6,166 Posts
use the new Bohning blazer jig...3 deg helical works great Good alignment and vane seal to shaft perfectly..

·
Registered
4,650 Posts
I used Blazer vanes for a while. Found them to be very inconsistant from vane to vane. Some stuck, some didn't. On some the base leaned to the left, others to the right, and others were strait (like they should be).

Switched to Vanetec vanes. It was a very good move on my part. There is no prep needed and the only way to get them off is with a razor.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I just picked up the Helix jig and 120 Blazer vanes. Time to test out the vanes and my skillz! :) I'll be using the Victory glue.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts