Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've recently started wrapping and fletching my own arrows. The look great but everytime anything hits one of my fletchings or it goes deep into the target the veins rip off the arrow because of the wraps (actually rips the vein and a piece of the wrap right off)

I'm getting a little tired of reflectching arrows because a vein decided to come off. I can actually, with a little tug, pull all the veins right off.

Anyone know how to make the wraps more durable or should I switch to painting my arrows? Or maybe just put the veins on and forget screwing with it?

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
I stopped using wraps. They look neat, but they cost more and added weight. I usually ended up making it harder to remove the wrap then the fletching.

I would try something like super glue.

·
Registered
7,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Deezlin said:
I stopped using wraps. They look neat, but they cost more and added weight. I usually ended up making it harder to remove the wrap then the fletching.

I would try something like super glue.
I really like being able to see my arrows in flight and find them easily if I miss the target... how is the spraypaint method of cresting the arrows? will they still rip off because of the paint the way they do because of the wraps?

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
I have sprayed mine with white lacquer and then used Goat Tuff to fletch my Blazers.....Very good adhesion.....Just make sure to use the lacquer,not regular spray paint of course....

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Whats the differance in Laquer and enamel(normal)! I know laquer dries quicker.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Try OzCrest mate . www.ozcrest.com Vanes don't fall off OzCrest wraps. IF they did fall off, you'd get your money back. :)

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
It may not be the wraps either, try another type of glue. I had the same problem with fletch tite platinum and switched to AAE fast set gel. Never had the problem again. I hear that gorilla glue and other super glue gels work too. Just an idea.....

·
Registered
12,018 Posts
Dredly said:
I've recently started wrapping and fletching my own arrows. The look great but everytime anything hits one of my fletchings or it goes deep into the target the veins rip off the arrow because of the wraps (actually rips the vein and a piece of the wrap right off)

I'm getting a little tired of reflectching arrows because a vein decided to come off. I can actually, with a little tug, pull all the veins right off.

Anyone know how to make the wraps more durable or should I switch to painting my arrows? Or maybe just put the veins on and forget screwing with it?

Where are you getting these wraps?

I have(need to get more too) wraps from www.Arrowwrapsunlimited.com and they hold very tight to the shaft.
I'd say the problem is that;
1) The shaft isn't clean before you apply the wrap.
2) The wraps are low quality.

I've shot my Blazers THROUGH bag targets, and my 4" think closed cell foam target, and never lost a vane.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I think you definitly had a prep problem, I have blazers on EZ crests and have a heck of a time trying to get either of them off. Make sure you are using at least 91% alcohol to clean.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts