Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
strayarrow
2,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me the process for bleaching a skull to prepare it for a Texas mount?

·
Relocated Cajun
10,974 Posts
a taxidermist on another forum was telling us to soak it in water

put it in a tub...or something big enough to submerge it...empty 2/3 the water out every couple weeks(beware of stinch) and fill back up

you leave 1/3 the water for enough remaing bacteria to keep doing there thing...

·
Registered
788 Posts
Cleaning skulls

If it is fresh and still has meat on it cut all the meat off, cut the eyes out, the tongue and using a wire with a hook on the end (a coat hanger with a small hook bent in) pull the brains out through the atlas opening at the base of the skull. Then,if the temperatures permit, put it in a dark box or an upside down garbage pail and let magots clean it(the dark box is so the bugs will work 24 hrs a day). After the bulk of the work is done, get a big pot of water, add some dish liquid and bring it to a boil. Then take the pot of boiled soapy water out side and put the skull in it. By doing this you will avoid over boiling the skull and possibly ruining it because the water will be cooling down. You may have to repeat this step a few times. When satisfied the skull is completly clean and free of meat and grissel soak it in a plastic bucket with cool water and bleach for a day. Take it out and let it dry, in the sun if you want it super white. I like mine to have more of the natural bone colour. It's not that hard of a job, but it is messy, have fun.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Whatever you do DON'T use bleach. When you get it clean put it into a bucket or something and pour in peroxide. I use the 3% you can get from the drug store. Bring it up to just below the antlers. Get a couple paper towels soaked with it and place them on any exposed part of the skull. Leave it for no more than 2 days and then rinse it off with cold water and set it in the sun for a couple days and you are done.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Skin out the head, pressure wash off most of the tissue and meat. Boil for about a half an hour, just enough to soften the brain for easier removal.

If you "soak" it in water, you will soften the bone.
If you "boil" it too long you will soften the bone.

100% peroxide 2 tablespoon or so mixed with baking soda, just enough to make a moist paste. Coat the skull with this paste, let it sit for 24 hours. Brush the now dry powder off, and viola, a brilliant white skull.

Here is mine...I made the mounting boards also.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
After I get mine clean I just spray paint it with Kiltz stain blocking white paint. It turns out really nice and the paint will protect it if you want to hang it outside.

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
Clean as much meat and "stuff" off before you boil it. Then I use Dawn dish soap and Borax in the water when I boil. Wash/scrape the rest of the "stuff" off. Let it dry completely!!!!!
Then go to the local beauty supply and get some "Volume 40 Peroxide". It is a thick liquid that you brush onto the skull. Let it set for a few hours then rinse it completely and let dry completely. If it's not white enough you can re-apply the peroxide. Make sure you let it get fully dry between applications though, or it will make you think you need to re-apply when you really don't.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Heres what I do...

After removing all the flesh Ive always used magneseium carbonate and mixed it with normal strenght peroxide until it forms a paste. I then brush on the paste (only where you want it white) but make sure to get way up in the skull in hard to see places too. Then put it in a plastic bag for 24 hrs or so then set it outside in the sun for a day. Once thats done simply rinse off all the dried paste. It turns out great.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts