Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not knowing whether there's deer in the area or not, but attempting to call them if they're within hearing distance and out of sight.... How many of you "blind" call deer?

Have you had any success with this method?

Your opinions and experience is appreciated.
Thank you, Bowhunter57

·
Registered
3,113 Posts
First day of season, October 1st, I called in a doe with a fawn call mixed with a very few doe bleats. It was cold for the first time this year the few days leading up to the opener. I didn't get a good shot at her though.

Since then it's been very warm here and I have not seen a thing.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Yeah I blind call all of the time. Where I hunt it is kind of thick, so a deer could be walking by at 50 yards and I might not be able to see it. So I call. I like doe bleats best, until the rut kicks in and then I mix in some grunts.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I have had good results using a fawn bleat in Oct. even if I dont see the deer I'm trying to call in.
I once called in a mature doe using that call she was around my stand for a while looking for what she belived was a fawn, she never gave me a shot, but I was lucky enough to take a shot at an 8 point buck that followed her scent trail 1/2 hour after she past.
It's nice to have deer under your stand, even if its not the one your after.
Give it a try and Good Luck :D

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
I blind call all the time. I have called in my biggest bucks by blind calling. I will mix it up, but I will usually grunt 4-6 times (short) in a 2-3 second intervals, then I use the can call (bleat) 3-4 times, then gunt again 2-4 times. I try to make it sound as though a buck is trailing a doe. I will also use a low gutteral grunt, usually 3-4 seconds long (maybe a few of them in a row with varing pattern). Then can call (bleat) 3-4 times. I have had very good luck. I have not had good luck early season with calls, but they have been VERY successful once the pre-rut kicks in. For me (New York State) I notice the calls working very well once we hit the beginning of November. I have the best luck with calls generally the first 10-14 days of November. I don't go in the woods without my True Talker and my Can Bleat.

My brother had a stand about 80 yards from one of mine. One morning, I was calling a buck into bow range that was trailing a doe. While I was calling "my" buck in, three bucks ran past my brother's stand coming into my calling within 10 minutes of each other. In my area...blind calling works with the right techniques. I have had great success, but others I know have not. There are a lot of variable that will determine your success. Try different things and see what works. I tried different things on deer I could see and how they reacted, now I have used those techniques on deer I can't see.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts