Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Scheduled a boar hunt in South Carolina this coming Winter. I haven't boar hunted with a bow before. Any advice on the set up I should use? When I hunt whitetails I use:

Bear Lights Out - 70#
Gold Tip Hunter
Muzzy 100gr

Should I switch up to 125s?

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Your setup should be fine. Hogs come in all sizes, and truly big ones over 250 pounds are pretty rare. I've taken hogs with a 55 pound bow and even a 223. They're toughness is overrated in my opinion. Now, if you're hunting a game ranch with true Eurasian boars, you might want to bump it up a bit. But still, if people hunt moose with 60 pound bows, you should be fine for anything you might run into. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Oh yeah, shoot low and tight to the shoulder, slightly quartering away is best. For really big boars, fewer blades means more penetration but less of a blood trail. A three blade is a good compromise, but shoot what you are comfortable with. Shot placement is key.

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
Whatever you have for a whitetail should work just fine on a hog/boar as well.

Just like anything else, shot placement is the key. The vitals are low and forward when compared to a deer. What would look like a lung hit on a deer, would be gut's or a high miss on a hog.

I've killed them with 60 and 70 lb bows with passthroughs and didn't have any issues. I've only used fixed blade heads on them personally, as some ranches do not allow expandables.

·
Vendor
84,617 Posts
boars

Well I can say there toughness is not overrated.They are very tough. They are alot tuffer than a moose forsure. The key is shot placement if you dont hit a big boar just right your not going to stop him.But if you hit him perfect you will see him drop very quickly. Quartering away shot is very good and I would think the best shot to take with a bow. Your set up is fine. A two blade fixed head with lowprofile is better for penetration but it needs to be very sharp on a big boar .But the smaller boars are much easier to kill. I have raised the pure Eurasian boars so I can tell you first hand how tuff they are. I have seen some of my boars with 5 inch cutters hit another boar in the front shoulder and only make a long cut on his shoulder it wouldnt penetrate his front shoulder shield. I would like to add. That some feral boars are very easy to kill but the ones with the eurasian blood line in them are much harder. So find out what percentage of eurasian they are. There are only a few places that offer pure eurasian boar hunts in the U.S and I was one of them. .

·
Registered
3,317 Posts
what youre shootin is fine... just like said before low and tight to the shoulder. i prefer a quartering away shot myself. it's like any other thing, some just have more of a "will to live" than others. they're not the bionic beast but the majority ain't gonna just lay down and die either.

·
A.K.A. Big JW
2,698 Posts
I'll say they are pretty tough as well. I shot one last year in Florida with my 101st with a Slick Trick and got all of about 3 inches of penetration.

·
Registered
972 Posts
You can easily kill a boar with a 22 magnum, and have them run off and not come back with a 30-06. You need to slip the arrow in behind the shoulder into the lungs that are behind the shoulder. For a sow, just blast through her. And not to start anything, but anything shot into the ear hole will drop the pig instantly. I watched a guy on tv shoot one with a high powered pellet gun in the ear and the hog just drop.

·
Registered
3,317 Posts
I'll say they are pretty tough as well. I shot one last year in Florida with my 101st with a Slick Trick and got all of about 3 inches of penetration.
yeah but where did you shoot it. and what kinda arrow weight we talkin about?? and how well is your bow tuned.

a lot of variables involved in something like that.

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
I have killed hogs ranging from 130lbs up to 280lbs with 60lbs and 330 grain arrow 100 grain slick trick mags, and grizz tricks. Your set up is fine dont let people get you worried to much. Myself and a group of guys I hunt with have been hunting hogs for 3 years now using 4 blade slick tricks and have not had any problems with any penetrations.

THis is a feral hog I just took 2 weeks ago

137 lbs, 32 yd shot, 330gr arrow, 100gr griz trick 4 blade, 60lbs AlphaMax 32. Full pass through double lung, boar only went 60yds.

·
Vendor
84,617 Posts
hogs

Here is a picture of one the ones I had. A pure eurasian wild boar. No feral in this one at all. just over 270lbs use this for a reference View attachment 576017

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Many Thanks

Gentlemen,
Thanks for the advice. Sounds like my set up is alright and I need to start practicing.... My thought is to shoot at Styrofoam block targets cut to keep them low. I will work on quartering away shots as this seems to be best and most ethical shot... Once again. Many thanks.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts