Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son and I had a fun hunt yesterday evening. Didn't see a deer, but my son noticed movement across the creek (about 100 yards) and thought it was a coyote.

I called to him and got him to turn, then realized it was a bobcat.

Son wanted to shoot him, but without a tag, we got a chance to see him come within 15 yards before finally getting picked off after my son clanked his xbow on the stand.

Fun encounter needless to say!

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's pretty awesome. Cool to see how it measures every step it takes.
Agree. Every step seems 100% calculated.

Perhaps the smartest critter in the forest.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Very cool. At times I think seeing things like that is better than seeing 100 deer.

·
can I shoot it?
16,883 Posts
I am lucky in that my family’s land had a lot of them, way more then coyotes which is highly unusual here in Iowa. I have seen them walk to the base of my tree stand and look up at me and study me for a bit (a grey old Tom), have seen kits chasing squirrels and watching them in ambush mode as they try to wait for the squirrels to come down. I even got to see a couple of half grown cats wrestle over a rabbit they just caught in fresh snow as the mother cat (didn’t see her for a bit) watched on about 10 feet away.
Cool animals to see for sure. What I noticed here in Iowa was the large size difference between the females and males. The largest male that I was ever close to (grey one by my tree) was every ounce of 25lb. Most of the females I have seen were probably not much over 10-15lb.

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
They are neat indeed! Ive watched them chase squirrels in Wisconsin and drink at the water holes. Id love to get one for the fur! Great encounter you and your son had!

·
Registered
966 Posts
What a privilege it was to be able to watch and film him, your son will remember that forever

way better than killing it, sometimes we are judged on what we don’t do

I’ve seen a few responding to my turkey calling, I would never shoot one

·
Back down to ground level
16,098 Posts
Captivating video. Thanks for sharing it. Loved the cats "oh crap!" reaction, right down to the train in the background.

·
Registered
11,776 Posts
I shot em all I see. Between them and foxes they decimated our turkey population. I have killed a few with a gun but never a bow. Shot a red fox a few years ago and was gonna mount it but freezer went out and it ruined.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Cool. I see a few every year and never shoot them, they are too cool to watch. I have heard they are good to eat though...

I think lack of available habitat is more to blame for turkey numbers in my area than predators. So shooting one won't help anything.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts