Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Bohning Insert Iron seems like a temping glue. It is advertised as having the strength of gorilla glue but the heat reversibility of hot melt.

How easy is it to get glue in points out? Is it a safe amount of heat for all carbon shafts?

·
Archery Coach
23,316 Posts
The Bohning Insert Iron seems like a temping glue. It is advertised as having the strength of gorilla glue but the heat reversibility of hot melt.

How easy is it to get glue in points out? Is it a safe amount of heat for all carbon shafts?
Here is what I learned and this involves several email exchanges with Bohning

I prepared a lot of crossbow bolts for one of my team mates-Brent Hankins-who is currently the top indoor Xbow archer in North America. I sued the Iron insert glue to fix the brass points in X7 Aluminum. Brent shafted (aka "robinhooded") a couple bolts during the outdoor season and since the points cost more than the rest of the bolt combined, I sought to salvage them. First I used heat-didn't work. then I soaked the bolt in Acetone for a month-didn't work. Then MEK for a few weeks-didn't work. So I contacted bohning and they suggested heat while pulling the point from the broken shaft. That finally worked but it took a ton of heat and if you had any thoughts of using the aluminum shaft again-it wouldn't work. based on MY experience, there is NO WAY you could use this on a carbon shaft and expect to ever get the point out of the shaft without destroying the shaft

·
New Kid
653 Posts
I've only removed inserts that I glued with Insert Iron by knocking them out from the inside using a ramrod-type contraption (steel rod with appropriately-sized drill bit).

·
sometimes reality hurts
3,481 Posts
this is why you don't use cyano glues for points if you have any ideas ever of getting them back out. you need to put so much heat and torque into the point to remove it that the shaft is ruined in the process.

cyano and epoxy glued points should be regarded as permanent.

·
Archery Coach
23,316 Posts
this is why you don't use cyano glues for points if you have any ideas ever of getting them back out. you need to put so much heat and torque into the point to remove it that the shaft is ruined in the process.

cyano and epoxy glued points should be regarded as permanent.
some epoxy is heat reversible in aluminum shafts but generally what you say is true.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts