Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We own an archery shop in West Virginia and we currently use Bohning 4 inch and 5 inch vanes to fletch our arrows with. We have sold close to 50 dozen arrows and have had three customers bring their arrows back and you can just barely pull at the vanes and the come right off.

I however, don't prepare these arrows. I do know that they are dipped in a laquer, lightly sanded, and they use the glue the Bohning recommends.

We have sent samples to Bohning and are awaiting their answer.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
642 Posts
I tried Bohning vanes ONCE :rolleyes: with the same results. No matter waht I did or what glue I tried they would fall off on aluminums. Switched to Flex-Fletch and have had no problems. Also have used Duravanes with good luck. Currently have 4" Duravanes on my hunting carbons and they are working great.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Are you using aluminum or carbon arrows. I know using the white feltchtite on carbon arrows does not always work, red is the prefered for them. I have used the bohnings on my field arrows and like them quite a bit. I made sure I wiped them off with alcohol first though. Goat tuff or the Gold tip glue also works great and I think you;d be hard pressed to tear those off with that glue. Matt

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They are falling off of the Aluminum arrows only. They are mostly the yellow, white, and orange colors.

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
Does the glue stay on the shafts ? If so the likely problem is mold release on the vanes. Fix it by cleaning each vane base with MEK.

Does the glue pull off the lacquer but stick to the vane ? If so it may be bad lacquer OR bad glue. Look for contamination such as silicone where the lacquer is applied. (I ran into someone who applied Armor-All to his shafts to shine them up...before fletching (!))

If the glue AND lacquer pull off the shaft and stay on the vane, incorrect or improper shaft prep is the probable cause.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm really not sure if the glue is coming off with the vanes or sticking. I will have to ask the guys. I told them I would stick this problem on archery talk because I knew I would get replies. I definitely will find out. But please keep posting your comments.

·
Registered
644 Posts
We had some problems with the acc's doing that becasue the finish was so smooth. Glue was on the vane, not on the shaft. Used some scotch brite and different glue andviola, it sticked. I'd use denatured alcohol also. MEK makes me sick as a dog when inhaled a bit and is very toxic to the human body. ALso it leaves a residue behind. Denatured alcohol has worked really well and it does not hurt the body as bad, stings like hell on open cuts though,lol. Matt

·
Registered
8,935 Posts
I use the 3" Bohnings on carbon express shafts with the fletchtite(white tube) and they stick great! I dont even clean the bases of the vane off either!

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm beginning to think it is the glue. You know another problem we have had with these vanes is that they are wrinkling. No all of them do it.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
I have been using the bohning vanes for about 3 years on all the arrows I sell and havent had a problem with them wrinkling except for shooting through a whisker biscuit and I always use 100 micron sandpaper to clean any finish off the arrow where the vanes will be going and clean with denatured alcohol. and no problems. Havoc

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The arrows are wrinkling before we even sell them so no one has shot them through a whisker biscuit. I have shot Bohning this past year and never had a one to wrinkle nor fall off, of course I shot carbon and I personally will shoot Bohning in 2004. Maybe we have just gotten a really bad batch of fletching. I will be interested to see how Bohning handles this.

·
Registered
441 Posts
I have shot Bohning for several years. In the beginning, I did have problems with keeping them on my arrows. I few of my shooting buddies gave me a couple of suggestions and I haven't had a problem with them since.

Lightly sand the shaft and the surface of the vanes. I use auto motive sandpaper.

Use a little more glue, because you can always scrape off the access with a razor. This makes sure that you used enough glue.

Put a little dab of super glue or Fletch Tite II on each end of the vane. This helps to keep them on when pulling the arrow out of a target or when the arrow has a pass through.

my 2 cents.

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
As said by some of the others above I think the denatured alcohol is the ticket & lightly sanding the shafts & using Bohning glue.
I have not tried the denatured alcohol yet but a shop in my area has & said they have tried everything & thats what works for them, I use reg 99% alcohol & they won't stick to any kind shaft using it, (reg alcohol has some oils in it). Denatured alcohol I not sure????.
The vanes are to have a activator on them to work with there glue so you are not to clean them. I think the sanding & denatured alcohol is the reason they stick better.
Pizonarcher. :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts