Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys I’m headed to Africa in August. I have been researching the bone 125 and 200grain. Anyone have any real life experience?

·
Registered
9,887 Posts
Yes they fly well and do a good job, but they are harder to sharpen due to the curved edge, I would suggest you look at a Cutthroat, much easier to sharpen (I use a KME sharpener) and they are hardened to 55Rc.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Also worth looking at the buff series from Iron Will if you’re interested in a tough double bevel also.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Also worth looking at the buff series from Iron Will if you’re interested in a tough double bevel also.
I have been looking at mostly single bevel. But I might be overthinking my setup. I worry most about losing an animal I’m paying that much for. I want to have equipment I am confident in.

·
Registered
32 Posts
With the bone broadheads don't you have to match your fletching helical direction to the bevel of the broadhead? Just food for thought from someone who overthinks all set ups. Sounds like an awesome opportunity!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes the single bevels that i have seen you have to match right helical. I just ordered a fresh dozen 6mm Bloodline FOC arrows. I will have to check if the are fletched straight or right helical when they show.

·
Registered
9,772 Posts
I have been looking at mostly single bevel. But I might be overthinking my setup. I worry most about losing an animal I’m paying that much for. I want to have equipment I am confident in.
I don't think it's overthinking. The curve in the blade would make it harder to sharpen. I don't think it would be as tuff as a say a Helix or Kudu head. I am sure they have suggestions on how to get them scalpel sharp. You have to remember to match your bevel with the offset or helical in your fletching.

Good luck on your hunt.

·
Corripe Cervisiam
22,161 Posts
You only need to know 3 letters for your Africa hunt;

VPA

CNC Machined carbon steel, perfect straightness....1/3rd the cost of comparable heads

_____

·
Registered
9,772 Posts
You only need to know 3 letters for your Africa hunt;

VPA

CNC Machined carbon steel, perfect straightness....1/3rd the cost of comparable heads

_____
Yup or the Cutthroat on the single bevel side. Same company

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Guys I’m headed to Africa in August. I have been researching the bone 125 and 200grain. Anyone have any real life experience?
Have you tested your arrow with a 200gr field point? This close I’d have everything tracked down already, I’m going next June myself. Don’t bargain shop your broad heads though as it’s a fraction of cost when it comes to a trip like this. Cutthroats are great and Grizzlystik Alaskan 200’s could fit the bill. Also Iron Wills have some high praise but that’s a double bevel, I plan to test their Buff head.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I don't think it's overthinking. The curve in the blade would make it harder to sharpen. I don't think it would be as tuff as a say a Helix or Kudu head. I am sure they have suggestions on how to get them scalpel sharp. You have to remember to match your bevel with the offset or helical in your fletching.

Good luck on your hunt.
Thank you sir. Saw a torture test on alot of the bevels and the bone was the toughest in the test there but they were praising the stickland, cutthroat and kudu as well.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Have you tested your arrow with a 200gr field point? This close I’d have everything tracked down already, I’m going next June myself. Don’t bargain shop your broad heads though as it’s a fraction of cost when it comes to a trip like this. Cutthroats are great and Grizzlystik Alaskan 200’s could fit the bill. Also Iron Wills have some high praise but that’s a double bevel, I plan to test their Buff head.
I dont have anything in the 200 grain but i do have 150's to practice with. Im going to shoot the 125 and 150gr over the weekend and check flights. My arrows are showing up today. Hoping to get around 500 grains total arrow weight.

·
The Impartial Archer
18,780 Posts
If you have the spine you can just add weighted inserts or 50 75 or 100 or even more. Then you can get less expensive and more available heads in the 125 grain range that will work just as well as the high dollar two blades. Just another option.

·
Registered
17,324 Posts
Iron will
Cutthroat

Those will be my choice for cape Buffalo when I go back to Africa

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Talk to your outfitter and ask what they recommend? Spend a little time reviewing your setup with them and see if they can point you in a particular direction? I mean, they do this every day. Good luck! Take pictures!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts