Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to replace my old boots. I was roaming through field & stream and noticed how much lighter the UA 800s are than my old boots. Wondering what else I should be looking at that's nice and light but still gives you the insulation.

·
Registered
7,646 Posts
I'm about to purchase another pair of Irish Setter Havoc Gore-Tex Thinsulate insulated Hunting Boots. These are 5-6 seasons old, and are just now starting to break down just a bit. I hunt hard too, 40-50 days in the field each year with long long hikes. I could make them last another season, but I'm going to semi-retire them and only use them on easy days in the field.

Clearly the best, lightest, most comfortable straight out of the box, most athletic, and versatile boots I've owned in 40+ years of hunting.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just came across the boa lace stuff... I like the idea a lot but i can't find a lot of options in insulated hunting style boots.
Bought a pair of UA fat tires from the bargain cave at cabelas to try... so far I'm a fan of the idea.

·
Yooper / Marauder
735 Posts
"....nice and light but still gives you the insulation"

Irish Setter Vaprtreks insulated with primaloft are pretty sweet

·
Registered
5,954 Posts
"....nice and light but still gives you the insulation"

Irish Setter Vaprtreks insulated with primaloft are pretty sweet
+1.

Ive got the 8" 400g vaprtreks. They are awesome. Virtually no break in time, lightweight, comfortable, waterproof, and warm. My feet were toasty with these and one pair of midweight wool socks down into the teens.

My feet sweat a lot, so for a boot to keep my feet warm really takes something special. Gone are the days of leaving the woods early because of frozen toes!

Sent from my HTC Desire 626 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
I have done quite a bit of hiking and backpacking in my life. One thing I know to be true, is that boots are something that are really different for each person. There is no "best boot." I might like one boot, but it may not work for another guy. Everyone has different feet, even if they are the same size. You're better off being able to try out a bunch of different boots and getting the one that feels right for you. Quality is another story. You can get idea of how well they will hold up, and how the company will treat you, by feedback from others. I've seen way too many negative reviews on the quality of Under Armour boots. You're better off buying a boot made by a boot company. Irish Setter, Lowa, Meindl, Zamberlan, Kenetrek are a few good ones. Danner is hit or miss, they have great boots but also have some duds. If you buy boots from LL Bean, they will replace them for life even if they aren't the LL Bean brand.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts