Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My feet get cold pretty quick, should I purchase better boots or purchase a pair of boot blankets? I do not have alot of cash to spend so I am leading toward the boot blankets. Has anyone purchased any of the Guide Gear boots from the Sportsmans Guide? Good? Bad? Any input on keeping my feet warm would be great. I use a silk liner with wool socks and a pair of pack boots (sometimes with hand warmers)and still get cold.

Thanks

· Registered
5,465 Posts
The sportsmansguide brand of boot are great boot and very reasonable in cost especially if they are on sale. I believe you can send them back if they don't fit. I bought my dad a pair of the regular leather boots that have 1500 or 1600 grams of thinsulate and he said they are too warm except for ice fishing.

I would still get a set of blankets if you have cold feet all of the time, they are nice!

· Registered
1,080 Posts
I used the Icebreaker boot blankets for the last couple of years. They did a good job but were very hard,if not impossible, to pack since they were so thick. Also, my huntin buddies called them Herman Munster boots. I sold them and got the Arctic Shield's for this year.I haven't got to try them yet but the Cabela's reviews are very good and they are very "Packable".

· Registered
169 Posts
i've been using boot blankets for years, and love them. I wear 800 gram rockies to walk around so i'm not wearing a canoe on each foot, and then when i get to the stand I strap on the boot blankets. I have the same problem as you, my feet sweat the instant I start walking, and then turn to ice the instant I sit down. Blankets have made stand sitting a lot more comfortable for me, and they are dirt cheap compared to a good set of boots.

· Registered
175 Posts
northern outfitters mountain pack boots

I bought a pair of these on ebay last winter for approx 20% of retail. Wore them on all day hunts in temps around zero with one pair of wool socks. They are perfect for sitting in a blind or on a stand. They are not intended for long hikes over hill and dale to your stand. They enabled me to be out all day for several days when my pals petered out.

· Premium Member
2,123 Posts
I used the Icebreaker boot blankets for the last couple of years. They did a good job but were very hard,if not impossible, to pack since they were so thick. Also, my huntin buddies called them Herman Munster boots. I sold them and got the Arctic Shield's for this year.I haven't got to try them yet but the Cabela's reviews are very good and they are very "Packable".
Hope your not sorry you did that.I first tried the Arctic shields and they made a difference but on a real cold day,they just were not warm enough.Went to the blankets and have not had cold feet since.I use a bungy cord and just strap them to my stand to carry them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.