Archery Talk Forum banner

Boots

2268 Views 38 Replies 27 Participants Last post by  DocMort
I am in the market for a new pair of hunting boots. Not sure what to buy. I would prefer gortex for waterproof. Danner, Rocky? Hunting the backcountry? any suggestions. I have had ankle surgery so I need good support and don't mind spending the money for a good pair of boots after having my ankle rebuilt. don't ever want to have to go through that again.
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

· Registered
7,239 Posts
Irish Setter and Danner make the best hunting boots IMO. My boots are Irish Setter with 1400 grams of insulation. They are the most comfortable, warmest boots I have owned.

· Registered
265 Posts
You have to try Kayland Boots....they don't market for hunting but their boots put the other hunting boots to shame. They use E-vent for waterproofing and I used them on an 8 day backcountry trip in colorado hiking 30 miles total and no blisters whatsoever...They are as light as basketball shoes so you feel so much more agile but are normal height boots with awesome support. I have had arthroscopic surgery on both of my ankles so I need a lot of support. I've used them rabbit hunting all winter in snow and never had wet feet. If you look at stuff from the Backpacking side of the outdoors spectrum a lot of times the tech is actually a little better IMO.

· Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
which kayland did you wear? i had a ankle totally rebuilt. i have a scar from little toe all the way up past my ankle on the side of my foot. they rebuilt all the tendons and ligaments. i need all the support i can get...

· Registered
9,996 Posts
I am in the market for a new pair of hunting boots. Not sure what to buy. I would prefer gortex for waterproof. Danner, Rocky? Hunting the backcountry? any suggestions. I have had ankle surgery so I need good support and don't mind spending the money for a good pair of boots after having my ankle rebuilt. don't ever want to have to go through that again.
I have been using rocky with great results. I have had a few ankle surgeries. What have you had done to you ankle? I had my right ankl rebuilt last almost a year ago. It was pretty extensive. I have 2 plates and 11 screws and my right ankle is now fused.

Attachments

· Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Skin Joint Arm Leg Knee
i blew out my ankle falling down the stairs. i have screws and pin in top and screws in bottom of ankle. All ligaments and tendons were streched or torn. They had to go in there and redo the tendons and ligaments. before the surgery you could hold my leg and shake my foot and ankle it looked like a bobble head moves. it has been a year now since my surgery.

· Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
fletched how did you do that.... yours looks alot worse then mine..... mine is not fused... i am glad to hear you are doing well.

· Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
on target 7 what lowa boots do you wear?

· Registered
3,544 Posts
Hey bud sorry to hear about your injury hope your doing well. I tell you the most comfortable boots ive had right outta the box are irish setter elktracker 2s. There warm,lightweight and grip like a sob.

· Registered
9,996 Posts
fletched how did you do that.... yours looks alot worse then mine..... mine is not fused... i am glad to hear you are doing well.
Back in 02 I had a treestand break on me. I dropped 25 feet to the ground. I landed on my feet and broke both ankles and my back. I had my back fused (L1) and both ankles operated on. My right ankle was destroyed. The broke and dislocated the talus. The talus is the bone right under the leg bones and is the weight bearing bone. The talus blood supply is feed by tiny blood vessels that attach to the bone. When you displace the bone, you rip it loose from the blood supply. My talus dies and then collapsed. Over the course of the next 7 years, the dead talus deteriorated and started falling apart. I had 5 screws in my ankle and 3 were bent. I finally decided to get it repaired and found a capable surgeon. There aren't many surgeons who can do this type of surgery. The surgeon removed the old dead bone and then cut about 5" off of my fibula (the small leg bone) and used it to fill up the void. Then he put a plate on the side and top of my foot to secure it. I have 11 screws holding the plates in place. I have one 5" screw that goes up through my heel and into my tibia. I have some scar tissue on the bottom of my heel that has been bothering me and about 2 weeks ago, I had a local foot doctor give me a shot into the scar tissue to break it up. He jabbed the needle into my heel and worked it around and squirted liquid fire into the scar tissue. That really hurt and for a couple hours after, it felt like a wasp was stinging my heel. The shot seems to be working and my heel is getting a little better. I am still slowly getting better but still limited on how much I can be on my feet. I know your pain. My tendons and ligaments were destroyed as well.

What will help you more than anything is getting some custom insoles made and use rocky snake boots with the zipper for easy on and off. The taller boot design will give your some great support. You can try on a few different brands and see what feels the best for you. I have had great luck and comfort with rocky so I tend to stay with them. My feet are extremely sensitive to change so I tend to stay with what works. Rocky snake boots are light and supportive. Trust me on the snake boots, they will give you the support you need.

· ebayuserid:hunting_par
1,473 Posts
You should also look at Meindl's. They are German made and Cabelas sells them with their name on them as Cabelas by Meindl. I have the hiker which is a lower top boot as well as the hunter which is 10 inches and has 400 gr of insulation. They have a 200 and 800 possibly more in the taller boot. The hiker is uninsulated. Meindl's have a cork footbed that can be replaced new for $20 when the old ones wear down. It's like having a brand new shoe again. Goretex waterproof. Handmade. One pair of mine is over four years old and I wear them 5-6 days a week. They still look new and are holding up great. I'm a big guy and I punish shoes.

· Banned
25,751 Posts
on target 7 what lowa boots do you wear?
Here's a Pic............I have done week long hunts in the backcountry with these. Great support and there actually waterproof not like some of the others that claim they are. I have had 60 pound packs on my back not including hauling out meat with no issues. One other thing my feet seem to always breath in these eliminating hot spots and blisters.

These are the Tibet Pro GTX

Attachments

· Bent Not Broken
3,451 Posts
have had mutiple injuries to my legs, though nothing nearly that bad. My worst was an open compund tib/fib. I joined the military (AF then USMC now) a year after that one. I have used nothing but military boots since. Especially, the newer issue ones. They offer great support and I add an insole and hike/hunt all day in them. Waterproof? Depends on the model, but yes. Durable? I have my 1993 issued set and my newest and most last about 5-8years of constant wear. Price for a civilian? I have not one clue, I pay for mine another way. Support? My left ankle needs alloy after that break and these offer it.

· Registered
18,365 Posts
IMHO and in some others on here if your going to spend the money spend it on a good pair your feet will thank you, Stay away from Pronghorns, I have found out that anything danner makes under 200 is made in china, leaks, and stitches don't hold up

Schnee's Sheep Hunter
Lowa Tibet or the GTX shoebuy has a good deal on them
Meindl - Through Cabelas, Perfekt were nice but I like the Alaska's Hunters with perfekt foot bed
Kenetrek - Boarman is a dealer for them on here. great boots
HanWags - also another good pair

· Registered
644 Posts
+1 for Lowa and my second choice is Danner. I've been using the Lowa's over here in Afghanistan for over a year and they have stood true and kept my feet in good shape up and down mountains here. I've had two pari the Zephyr and Tibets and they are as tough as nails. I were Danner GTX's when I have to be in official uniform but they have done weel in the snow and don't clog with mud easily but give me good grip on loose rocks. I wear about 50 lbs of body armor and kit at any one given time and weight close to 190 so my boots take a beating. With Lowa it's hard to find wide sizes but they fit my feet fine, Danners are no problem to get wide. A lot of guys in my unit like Asolo's also which I've been impressed with them too.

· Registered
6,506 Posts
for me i like to wear Irish Setters. the i used the uninsulated Tamaracks for open ground antelope and hiking in the mountains. when i was elk hunting in montana i put on a pair of 400 gr Irish Setter Elk Trackers. i will say both of these boots had very litte break in time and are very comfortable.
i went to a boot store and tried on a pair of Irish Setter Tamaracks first, they felt great on my feet. then i put on a pair of Danner pronghorns. i couldnt get the Danners off fast enough. they did not feel not as good on my feet at all. i actually cant understand why people buy them if they feel that bad. i bought the Irish Setters. irish Setter is made by Red Wing and if you have ever had a pair on your feet, you will know what comfort is.

plus i want a full 8 or 10 inch boot. no high tops for me i need the extra ankle support.

Tony

· Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
thanks for all the input. boots is not an area where i go cheap on after having my ankle worked on. i want a good quaility boot that fits well and will last. i will have to go to the outdoor store and look at some of these suggestions.. i really appreciate it. i tried on a pair of merrell the other day and i could feel the screws in the bottom of my heel. i knew immediately these weren't for me.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.