Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Winter is here......idle hands.... I always liked having white arrow wraps to "read" blood after a shot. With time on my hands today I took a broken arrow (missing end two inches) and spray painted the shaft "lightly" with grey primer just to see what the weight difference would be. 27" of shaft remaining (remember it was broke) and after giving it a light dusting the weight only went up 2.3 grains. I was encouraged so I weighed another shaft, painted the back 8" to satisfaction (heavier coat), and weighed again. Only 1.4 grain increase.

I probably wouldn't use primer for end product but maybe Krylon white??? I don't have any on hand to try.

For those of you that wanted wraps but didn't, couldn't, now want.

Now, about that better mouse trap.....

·
Registered
47,473 Posts
I crest arrows. I've crested 7" and weighed them afterward and got a one grain weight gain. Not bad, huh?

I've been using satin white Krylon spray lacquer. It works great and the satin color really "pops" in the sunlight. I use it as a base under the colored fades and stripes. It's really inexpensive to do and adhesives stick great, too.

One tip.....when you tape it off use your fingernail to stick the tape down in the overlap area so it doesn't "bleed" under the tape and leave an ugly edge.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts