Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you shoot with both eyes open or just one eye open? I've always shot with one eye open, but have been experimenting both ways. No better than I shoot I thank I may be closing both eyes:eek: .

·
Registered
94 Posts
I am right handed but left eye dominant and havent been able to retrain myself so I shoot (bow, rifle, pistol) with one eye covered or closed...

·
Registered
856 Posts
Definitely both eyes open (unless you are opposite eye dominant--try an eye patch over your dominant eye). When you shoot with one eye closed, it automatically causes your other eye to squint a little which distorts the shape of the lens in the eye thus blurring your vision a little. It also eliminates your depth perception and makes it harder to see in low light conditions.
It doesn't take long to get used to it with practice.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Eyes

Both eyes are much a better way of shooting , you get a better sight window, easier to follow your arrow, I am left eye dominate and shoot RH but have trained myself to open both eyes.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It is nice to see the flight of the arrow with both eyes open.

·
11,952 Posts
I shoot with one eye open, but only bc I am right handed and left eye dominant. I can definately see the benefit of shooting with both eyes open, but I have such a strong right handedness that I just cant ever see myself being able to shoot left handed.

·
11,952 Posts
Holepuncher,

How did you train yourself to open both eyes? If I open both eyes I cant even see through my peep any longer my dominant left eye is so dominant.

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,466 Posts
both eyes open. but sometimes i have to close my left eye intill my right eye takes control and then open both wile i shoot.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
I am just starting to use both eyes. I sometimes have to close or squint left eye. Both eyes is definately better, when I can do it.

·
Registered
933 Posts
I just had a short stint trying to use both eyes. Needless to say i kept loosing my pin in my peep. I'll be sticking with one eye for awhile.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Sometimes i shoot with one eye open and them sometimes with both. I still hit the same but im right eye dominent. I usualy shoot from 20 or closer with one eye but as i get farther back i open them both so i can see the arrow better

·
Registered
817 Posts
I shoot with both eyes open and taught myself by keeping my one open then when i got steady on my target through my peep and pin, i would gradually open the other eye. This process helped me do it naturally and it is great to see everything happen with both eyes open.

If you begin to try this start at shorter distances and like I said gradually open your other eye once you get settled in on your pin and target.

Good Luck!!

·
Registered
212 Posts
Both eyes

I shoot with both eyes open and taught myself by keeping my one open then when i got steady on my target through my peep and pin, i would gradually open the other eye. This process helped me do it naturally and it is great to see everything happen with both eyes open.
I agree. I line up the shot with one eye closed, then open up the other eye. Been doing it for about 2 weeks and can see a noticable improvement.

·
Electified Archer
3,275 Posts
I shoot my bow as well as all my scoped rifles with both eyes open. Been doing it this way ever since my biology teacher taught me to use a microscope with both eyes open back in the early 70s.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts