Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I read that keeping both eyes open while shooting is best. I have a 20yd range in my yard and tried it a bit ago. It's different that's for sure. My husband taught me to close one eye. I think I can get used to both eyes though. Will I need to resight my bow? I shot some dead on and some scattered. I don't know if that's due to not being used to it yet?

·
Registered
7,588 Posts
both eyes

I think I shoot with both eyes open most of the time. I know when I started shooting I shot with one eye closed all the time. I guess it is just whatever you get used to and are more comfortable with. I still shoot a rifle with a scope with one eye closed. Maybe if I shoot more I will end up opening the eye.

Just do whatever feels right to you. It will all come naturally after a while.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
If you're using a peep, it's gonna 'shut' when you release. If your opposite eye is closed, you're gonna miss most of the flight.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've been trying it out for 40 arrows or so and I think I'm getting the hang of it. I have to first have my left eye closed (I'm right handed) to get a feel for the peep allignment, then I open it and take the shot. Both eyes does give me the view of flight. I'm going to keep at it and hopefully change it to my primary way of shooting.

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
I started with my left eye closed because I am left eye dominant and shoot right handed. However, I noticed that with one eye closed I was getting tension. To make the transition I just keep shooting with both eyes open until I got the hang of it...........now I can shoot either way and my sights are the same :)

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
:shade: Well I started with left eye closed, first time I tried with both open I shoot a tree that was to my left. But now I shoot better with both eyes open, just (like everything else) took practice. Now that is more comfortable for me, more relaxed....

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I shot the stand my husband made to hold our targets oh, 3 times! haha! I won't give up though. I think using both eyes will help me in the long run. When he got home and was watching me he asked me if I was flirting with the target because I kept winking at it!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I feel for you, it is not that simple to switch! I switched early on because I hunt and found that I was not seeing the surrounding area that well. Switching has helped in low light also.
If you are strictly a target shooter, I would say doesn't matter.
If you shoot 3D or hunt, I would learn to shoot with both open.

Ron

·
Registered
154 Posts
Well, I tried shooting with both eyes open and had a hard time. My arrows were landing about 3 feet to the left of my target! I got discouraged because I didn't want to lose any arrows. Maybe I'll work on it some more. Julie.

·
Registered
502 Posts
well to shoot with bow eyes open efficiently you have to anchor in the middle of your nose and then you will shoot better with bow eyes open and you will need to resight in your bow

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I don't know what I do to make my bow the same. I switched from one eye to both pretty much completely now and I haven't had to adjust anything. I shot my turkey with both eyes open and WOW, the flight of the arrow was amazing!!!!! I felt alot more stable about the shot knowing I could see my surroundings.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have only been shooting for 3 weeks, shooting with one eye - right eyr. My right eye is bad, when I close right eye vision is blurry in left eye. I have to shoot shootgun left handed because of it. I would LOVE to beable to shoot with both eyes open! Do you have to anchor differently? I read some posts that said you don't have to move sites, right? I know I would have to work at it & get my own feel, I think I will try it.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I didn't have to change anything on my bow. I taught myself to use both by having my one eye closed (left eye), aiming exactly like normal and then openning that eye. I found that if you aimed right with the one eye, when you open it you'll see that it's all lined up for you. It's really neat when you take a shot with both eyes open and watch the flight of your arrow go where you aimed. I think it's probably good your left eye is fuzzy, then you don't have to worry about it being your dominant eye! It will just help you strengthen that eye if nothing else because you'll be using it more to focus on your target. Good Luck!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts