Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife told me last night that she wants to get a bow and shoot 3D and get into bowhunting. I need some advice on a bow for her. I would like to surprise her but Im not sure if that would be possible, since I dont know her draw length and pull weight. What would be a good draw weight for a beginning woman archer? She is pretty slight, 5-6, 120lbs so I dont know, could she pull 40lbs or 55lbs maybe? I may just have to take her in to the proshop and get her fitted but I really would prefer to surprise her. Any advice?

·
Registered
11,484 Posts
A lot of states require 40# to hunt. She could crank it down and then work up to 40 or so. As far as draw length. Something that is module or cam adjustable would be the best and allow you to fine tune her draw length over time. Plus makes resale on the bow easier. If you want to spend the money and you think she is serious, there is no better bow for a short draw archer than the Bowtech Equalizer. If she does lose interest, resale should be pretty good. I ordered my wife an Equalizer a week or so ago.:)

·
Registered
142 Posts
My wife wants to get into shooting also just not the hunting part (to early and to cold) But we are looking at the Parker Buck Shot for her. We are having the problem findind a bow because of her 23" draw. And she need something with 50# limbs. This one has the adjustable cam from 18 to 28". Plus for you if you want to start your wife off with the 40# limbs. For $50 you can get the next poundage limbs up from parker.

·
Registered
372 Posts
if your wanting to surprise her, buy the bow and then take her to get it setup. just buy one that will be in the range of poundage that she needs.

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
I've been looking for a bow for my wife also and have been wondering whats the best bow to get for a beginner. I have looked at the Mathews Mustang which I really liked but, your kind of limited on setting draw weight unless you buy new limbs for it. Would like something that you can adjust the weight say from like 30-50 lbs.

·
NC ASA Director
35,983 Posts
I would get a 40 lb max bow.

A lot of women really like the Mathews Ultra II.

·
Registered
71 Posts
The bows listed here all seem fine. The Browning Midas has a 10" adjustment range built into one cam, no extra cost to change the draw. It is very light and shoots fast. I set one up for a friends son and was very impressed with it. It has a nice low price on it too.

No bows have a 20# adjustment range that I know of, just a 10# range. A 30 to 40 pound bow would be a good start. In a short time they should work up to 40# that works well for 3-D or deer hunting. When shooting 40# bows remember to use smaller broadheads to hunt with.

Good luck to all of you

1 - 7 of 7 Posts