Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My practice seesions this week have been focused on follow through and I have a question. Some coaches stress the importance of keeping the bow arm steady and up during the follow through while others advocate letting it drop ( naturally and fall to the left) I was looking for opinions on what you all do and the importance of your bow arm during your follow through
Northwoods

·
Occam's Razor
8,322 Posts
In order to hold it steady, would that not require a great deal of muscle control prior to the shot?....Therefore the vote is let it go..............:cool:

<--------------------<<<< "CK" >>>>-------------------->

·
Registered
382 Posts
I think either will work fine. It gets to be a problem when you want to drop the bow arm early. Then you tend to be moving just a little before the shot and throw things off. I do the best when I try to keep aiming through the whole shot, until after the arrow hits the target. My bow arm obviously moves at the "explosion," but it's still generally pointed at the target for me.

It works for me. But a lot of people have luck with letting their arm swing down after the shot. Whatever gives you the best result is the way to go.

peashooter

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Unless you anticipate the shot, there is nothing that you should be able to do to stop movement of your bow arm.

There should be a downward and counter-clockwise (RH shooter) movement around your shoulder joint that results from the fact that you no longer have to fight the string.

There should also be a natural movement of your release arm, too....

So, you should not collapse (become limp after you realize the shot has gone), but not suddenly fight and try to keep everything from moving, either. In many ways you should almost "ignore" the fact that the arrow has gone, at least until it hits the target.

kgk

·
Registered
102 Posts
My bow sits right where it is after I release and call the shot. I do that to resist the temptation to peek and drop my bow arm. It's easy for me because I have my bow weighted and balanced to sit exactly level in my hand with no pressure on the grip.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts