Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a whitetail hunter when I first got into archery and its been sitting in the closet since collecting dust. I read on several forums that they are a ticking time bomb waiting to explode on the archer. I decided to remove the limbs out of there pockets and plan to replace them with wooden limbs. It's gonna be like a longbow with a aluminum riser. Anyone built any bows have any advice? I've read that the best wood to use is yew or any other hard wood. I spoted some red oak at lowes the other day that I think would work great. The grain ran with the length of the board, only problem i see is the string and getting the draw weight that I want. I'll be posting pics here in a few.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Long Bow

I would go with laminated wood with fiberglass on both faces. You can order materials from Bingham Archery. This is where I get materials for building Recurves. Most of your higher grade hardwoods will work for what you are talking about - Maple are Elm are two good ones.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Its called a Wharf bow - compound riser with recurve limbs. Check tradtalk.com for ideas.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Go to the lumber yard and buy some wheel barrow handles. They are hickory and they are straight. First research the the grain sits in the handle though. good luck

1 - 5 of 5 Posts