Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 8 year old son(left handed) cant stop canting his bow left. I believe its in his front shoulder. Cant get him to set it properly. His grip looks pretty good. Ive tried adding a side bar with more weight than should be required and swung way out to the side. When he draws bubble goes right. Its not a weight issue as he cants it the same with a bare bow. When i draw his bow the weighted side rod sends the bubble left. Hes always just had a 10 yd pin so wasnt a big deal. But starting next week hes going to be shooting a 3d league with multiple pins. Would there be a problem setting his sight so bubble is level with bow canted? Im out of time trying to fix the cause of the issue. Thanks.

·
(aka lug nut)
49,587 Posts
My 8 year old son(left handed) cant stop canting his bow left. I believe its in his front shoulder. Cant get him to set it properly. His grip looks pretty good. Ive tried adding a side bar with more weight than should be required and swung way out to the side. When he draws bubble goes right. Its not a weight issue as he cants it the same with a bare bow. When i draw his bow the weighted side rod sends the bubble left. Hes always just had a 10 yd pin so wasnt a big deal. But starting next week hes going to be shooting a 3d league with multiple pins. Would there be a problem setting his sight so bubble is level with bow canted? Im out of time trying to fix the cause of the issue. Thanks.
No problem at all. Have your son cant (tilt) his bow that comes naturally for his bow arm. Then, the riser is tilted sideways. ZERO problem.
You want the pins to form a vertical line, when he is tilting his bow sideways. The ends of the pins, need to be vertical, with respect to gravity...the pins need to follow a plumb bob line, hung from the ceiling, while your son is tilting the bow riser. Then, with pins set to vertical, adjust the sight bubble to read center.

So, if a 5 pin sight, with the riser tilted sideways, the bottom pin will need to be longest, and the top pin will need to be shortest (assumes horizontal pins). Just hang a long string with a weight, hanging from a screw in the ceiling. This is your reference for vertical. Then tweak each pin in the multiple pin sight, so each pin lines up with the plumb bob line. The bubble reading center, will keep your son honest, always tilting the riser consistently.

·
Shootin and Cussin
24,095 Posts
Or, you could teach him how to shoot correctly. How about some pics especially of his grip.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Or, you could teach him how to shoot correctly. How about some pics especially of his grip.
Why didn't i think of that. Lol. Ive been trying. He's 8, work in progress. It's something we're constantly working on and will continue to. His grip is very good, not perfect. Knuckles at 45 loose grip e.t.c. probably not perfect but again, he's 8. I don't want to ride him too hard so he loses interest. It'll come. I ask because we're shooting a3d league together starting next week so out of time. This will be the first time with more than one pin so was hoping for a temporary bandaid.

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
That's great he'll be shooting in a 3d tournament! I wouldn't worry about it too much. Just make sure to keep it fun. Don't over think it. My daughters turning 8 in a few days so I know how difficult it is to try and "help" their form. Lol

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's great he'll be shooting in a 3d tournament! I wouldn't worry about it too much. Just make sure to keep it fun. Don't over think it. My daughters turning 8 in a few days so I know how difficult it is to try and "help" their form. Lol
It's actually a weekly 3d league. He will be shooting the youth and obviously I'll be in the adults but we'll get to shoot together every week. He was gonna compete in S3DA this summer till the Corona shut it down. So it's youth leagues through our local pro shop( which are great by the way) till youth football than he'll do S3Da indoor after that.

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
I wouldn't worry much about it at his age. as he gets older and stronger, he will correct that can't all by himself with just a bit of encouragement. set the [ins up as N&B suggested and let him have fun. if he's shooting a league, that's the perfect situation to work on improving his form, but make it fun and sneak in some correction now and then,.... you don't want him to get tired of hearing he isn't doing something right every time he shoots. at his age,.... it's a sure way to make him stop shooting !.

·
Registered
4,950 Posts
I wouldn't worry much about it at his age. as he gets older and stronger, he will correct that can't all by himself with just a bit of encouragement. set the [ins up as N&B suggested and let him have fun. if he's shooting a league, that's the perfect situation to work on improving his form, but make it fun and sneak in some correction now and then,.... you don't want him to get tired of hearing he isn't doing something right every time he shoots. at his age,.... it's a sure way to make him stop shooting !.
Bingo. My 7 year-old cants the bow and when I try to correct it it makes things worse. They'll grow out of it, eventually. The main thing at this young age is to keep them interested and don't push them away with too much pressure. I've done that with other things.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,584 Posts
Set it up as canted for now, and reinforce always checking the bubble for "level." Then over time, slowly shimm [or unshim] the level back to true, still reinforcing using the bubble. Eventually he'll correct the issue on his own and in his own way.

·
Registered
11,868 Posts
Paige Pierce sets hers with a cant cause that’s the way it works for her. Hers is a single pin but you can do it and once he figures it out and grows some he will adjust so it’s not canting.

·
Registered
20,602 Posts
Do people still believe that a canted bow will shoot on a vertical line? Even if you put your pins vertical while you cant the bow, the arrow will be on an angled trajectory. Move the arrow to the left of the sight line and at very short range, it'll hit left and at longer range it'll move right. There will be only one point where the arrow meets the line of sight. When a bow is vertical, the arrow path is on the same plane as the line of sight all the way to the target. You don't get that when you cant the bow. The only real way to cant a compound bow with a multipin sight and have the pins actually sighted in is if you have pins that will each adjust to different lengths so you can account for the change in right/left shift with different distances.

Canting a rifle does the same thing. You could level the scope after establishing the cant but the bullet will still not be directly under the scope and will move in the direction of the cant. The upward initial trajectory will always cause a canted gun or bow to propel the projectile sideways in the direction of the cant. You can't compensate for cant by simply keeping the sight vertical.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Do people still believe that a canted bow will shoot on a vertical line? Even if you put your pins vertical while you cant the bow, the arrow will be on an angled trajectory. Move the arrow to the left of the sight line and at very short range, it'll hit left and at longer range it'll move right. There will be only one point where the arrow meets the line of sight. When a bow is vertical, the arrow path is on the same plane as the line of sight all the way to the target. You don't get that when you cant the bow. The only real way to cant a compound bow with a multipin sight and have the pins actually sighted in is if you have pins that will each adjust to different lengths so you can account for the change in right/left shift with different distances.

Canting a rifle does the same thing. You could level the scope after establishing the cant but the bullet will still not be directly under the scope and will move in the direction of the cant. The upward initial trajectory will always cause a canted gun or bow to propel the projectile sideways in the direction of the cant. You can't compensate for cant by simply keeping the sight vertical.
Huntinsker . . Although it initially read to me like you are presenting counter view, this seems to be essentially the same as N&B was saying: "You want the pins to form a vertical line, when he is tilting his bow sideways. The ends of the pins, need to be vertical, with respect to gravity...the pins need to follow a plumb bob line, hung from the ceiling, while your son is tilting the bow riser." The ends of the pins, while forming a vertical line with respect to gravity, would all be a different distance from the riser. This could be achieved by either shimming the top or bottom of the multi-pin sight mount, or by using length adjustable pins.

In effect, would this not be the same as you suggest "The only real way to cant a compound bow with a multi-pin sight and have the pins actually sighted in is if you have pins that will each adjust to different lengths so you can account for the change in right/left shift with different distances."?

·
Registered
11,868 Posts
If he is 8 I doubt he is shooting 40 yards. Most cub or youth stakes are 25, so shooting with a can’t with multi pin will effect some but prob not enough for you to tell. Depending on the youngsters ability. If he is shooting a dime size group at 40 prob so. But if he is like my son was we just kept it in the 10 ring.

·
Registered
20,602 Posts
Huntinsker . . Although it initially read to me like you are presenting counter view, this seems to be essentially the same as N&B was saying: "You want the pins to form a vertical line, when he is tilting his bow sideways. The ends of the pins, need to be vertical, with respect to gravity...the pins need to follow a plumb bob line, hung from the ceiling, while your son is tilting the bow riser." The ends of the pins, while forming a vertical line with respect to gravity, would all be a different distance from the riser. This could be achieved by either shimming the top or bottom of the multi-pin sight mount, or by using length adjustable pins.

In effect, would this not be the same as you suggest "The only real way to cant a compound bow with a multi-pin sight and have the pins actually sighted in is if you have pins that will each adjust to different lengths so you can account for the change in right/left shift with different distances."?
After reading through it again, it is the same as I said.

Ultimately, the distances that an 8 year old will be shooting won't be long enough for him to notice.

·
Back Yard Champion
29,692 Posts
After my last injury and my shoulder put back in place I ended up with canted bow, bubble way, way left. I ended up shimming my sight frame. And I'm not the first to do so.
Haven't tried beyond 40 yards, but I seem to be on at 40 yards. And I still have a buzzing feeling ever so often, perhaps some time to fully recover. Shoulder feels good though.
I shot in the bubble to center, only way I know to do it. And then checked 3rd axis and good to go......

Here's a pic of Old Pro's, which is worse than mine - orange. Alan straightened original picture. Alan said Gene used a wedge to move the sight. Mine is black - white line is string on plumb bob.

Attachments

·
NOOBY
900 Posts
My 9 year old does the same thing, if I work on it he shoots terribly, and he gets frustrated. When I let him be himself he shoots well actually. He has a good from and technique otherwise so I just let it be. He doesn't shoot past 20 yards right now on his bow so I just let him have fun and enjoy it. I will work on it as he is allowed to actually hunt and such in a few years. Now its just fun and games so why mess with it.

It BUGS me yes very much but its just not worth messing with and probably making his shooting worse at this stage.

·
Registered
4,950 Posts
My 9 year old does the same thing, if I work on it he shoots terribly, and he gets frustrated. When I let him be himself he shoots well actually. He has a good from and technique otherwise so I just let it be. He doesn't shoot past 20 yards right now on his bow so I just let him have fun and enjoy it. I will work on it as he is allowed to actually hunt and such in a few years. Now its just fun and games so why mess with it.

It BUGS me yes very much but its just not worth messing with and probably making his shooting worse at this stage.
I can't get my son to try a proper grip. That would solve his canting but he says it hurts his hand.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 27 Posts