Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
why do they make there ibo speed with arrows well never hunt with i mean come on when i go to buy a bow i check the fps before buying it.....

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
some people do hunt with light arrows, less margin for error on yardage estimation

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
speed sells, thats the thing. If you put a bow that ibos at 320 and said it would only shoot 290 with hunting arrows, then it would be a hard sale. Its easier to let them find out on their own.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
lol did you wake up on the wrong side of the bed this morning ?

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
speed sells, thats the thing. If you put a bow that ibos at 320 and said it would only shoot 290 with hunting arrows, then it would be a hard sale. Its easier to let them find out on their own.
Yep, its a marketing and sales thing.
IBO is 350gr arrow, 70lbs draw and 30" DL. If you shoot exactly that, your speed will be close to the claimed speed of the bow. Most people dont shoot that, and dont realize that this isnt true for the entire setup possibilities for that bow.
What I do, is find the AMO speed of a bow. Thats closer to what I shoot and will give me a better idea if its a bow I want to shoot.
AMO is 540gr arrow, 60lb DW and 30" DL. I shoot 70lb, but if a claimed AMO is 260fps, I know I should be shooting at least that while pulling 70lb instead of 60.

Did you go chrono that new HCA?

·
Registered
5,105 Posts
Because they know a large portion of the archery market only cares about speed. In fact, many buyers don't even bother to test shoot bows. They simply want the fastest.

"A fool and his money are soon parted."
Dan

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
guess your right!

·
Registered
615 Posts
Even though I don't hunt with an arrow that is near IBO specs, there does need to be some sort of standard testing across all companies.
It would be a lot tougher to see how one bows performance stacks up against another if they used different arrow weights, draw weights, and draw lengths to rate them.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yupe thats what i mean whats next a bow that shoots 390 fps with 100 grain arrow come on

·
On a backstrap mission!
2,040 Posts
I hunt with a 350 grain arrow.:darkbeer:

·
Registered
10,763 Posts
All it is is a sales tactic .Lets face it what sounds better 245 fps AMO or 340 fps IBO. It is just part of the game that really should stop and catch up to the real word of hunting .Despite what is written on forums and spewed at pro shops by shop rats .Most hunters shoot 7-8 grains per pound no where near the 5 of IBO ands lets face it despite the speed saved me crowd penetration is what actually kills deer not an arrow that just goes in really really fast and only gets 2 inches of shot depth .Ask your self how many I only got 2 inches of penetration and lost my deer threads are on here.:wink:

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
All it is is a sales tactic .Lets face it what sounds better 245 fps AMO or 340 fps IBO. It is just part of the game that really should stop and catch up to the real word of hunting .Despite what is written on forums and spewed at pro shops by shop rats .Most hunters shoot 7-8 grains per pound no where near the 5 of IBO ands lets face it despite the speed saved me crowd penetration is what actually kills deer not an arrow that just goes in really really fast and only gets 2 inches of shot depth .Ask your self how many I only got 2 inches of penetration and lost my deer threads are on here.:wink:
Agree 100%! KE, not speed. I shot a light arrow in the beginning of this season, 380gr, for a little more speed. My bow was loud as hell and I didn't get any penetration.
I switched to a 490gr arrow and lost a little speed, but I get pass throughs every time and great blood trails because of it.
I'll take KE over speed any day.

·
Alien Mafia Member
3,765 Posts
Even though I don't hunt with an arrow that is near IBO specs, there does need to be some sort of standard testing across all companies.
It would be a lot tougher to see how one bows performance stacks up against another if they used different arrow weights, draw weights, and draw lengths to rate them.
X2.

At least it gives us'ns that realises heavier arrows travel slower, a comparison of the bows (thats if you believe the quoted figures are gospel from all companies:mg:).

Kev

1 - 14 of 14 Posts