Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed the past few times shooting that i want to come out of draw. Sometimes it feels like just a flinch, other times i come out of draw by a couple of inches. Is it my form, something wrong with my bow? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Agree with DaleB1 and would also add that I've found that I creep if the weight at full draw is too light. I've gone to 65# letoff. 72# @ 85% caused me to creep every now and then. Since I've gone to 72# at 65% I have not creeped once. Just my two cents.

·
Registered
51,095 Posts
Agree with DaleB1 and would also add that I've found that I creep if the weight at full draw is too light. I've gone to 65# letoff. 72# @ 85% caused me to creep every now and then. Since I've gone to 72# at 65% I have not creeped once. Just my two cents.
If the draw length is correct the 65% forces you to hold into the draw stop more because of the add weight your holding.:wink:

·
Registered
902 Posts
Well at 85% I found that for some reason my muscles would relax and I'd unconsiously creep foreward. The higher holding weight at 65% keeps me from relaxing. I actually thought of buying an 80% bow but the market is pretty limited.

·
Registered
51,095 Posts
Well at 85% I found that for some reason my muscles would relax and I'd unconsiously creep foreward. The higher holding weight at 65% keeps me from relaxing. I actually thought of buying an 80% bow but the market is pretty limited.
Think you have that backward 85% is rare to find 80% is avaliable in almost all bows. The other thing you might look at is making your draw shorter and that helps you to hold into the draw stop with higher letoff.:wink:

·
Registered
902 Posts
Sorry, sorry, sorry, my bad I meant an 80 POUND draw weight bow, not 80 percent letoff like I had typed.

·
Registered
51,095 Posts
Sorry, sorry, sorry, my bad I meant an 80 POUND draw weight bow, not 80 percent letoff like I had typed.
80 pound bows are getting to be special order now as most 70# bows are plenty fast enough and IMHO 80# is over kill.:wink:

·
Sultan of Smack
5,728 Posts
I have seen a few guys at the shop do this. Come to full draw, creep a little, and shoot out of the valley. My only advice to you is to come to full draw and keep pulling into the wall while focusing on the target.

SCFox

·
Registered
902 Posts
Well DaleB1 when you are 5'5" and weigh 231# with a short 26" DL you do what you can do to find speed. I can't grow longer arms. Mine is draw weight. I can muscle pretty much anything back. Guys in my club groan over 50 and 60 pound bows and draw with the arrow pointed toward the sky. I smoothly draw my 72# back in a perfectly straight line to my anchor point. I'd like to try an 80 pounder. I bet it would be a breeze.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Friend of mine shoots a Hoyt pro-elite at 56# with spiral cams at 26.5" and is gettting 300fps. You don't have to pull big weight to get speed, but to deel with your creeping problem try using a back tension release like the EVO+ or the squeeze me.

·
Registered
51,095 Posts
Well DaleB1 when you are 5'5" and weigh 231# with a short 26" DL you do what you can do to find speed. I can't grow longer arms. Mine is draw weight. I can muscle pretty much anything back. Guys in my club groan over 50 and 60 pound bows and draw with the arrow pointed toward the sky. I smoothly draw my 72# back in a perfectly straight line to my anchor point. I'd like to try an 80 pounder. I bet it would be a breeze.
Speed isn't everything and most 70# bows today even with a short draw are plenty fast enough IMHO. I shoot 27" draw and 55# and get 258fps, plenty fast enough for anything I want to hunt in North America. You may beable to pull that 80# and it is your choice but everyone I ever knew that does for any amount of time eventually has shoulder problems.:wink:

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Friend of mine shoots a Hoyt pro-elite at 56# with spiral cams at 26.5" and is gettting 300fps. You don't have to pull big weight to get speed, but to deel with your creeping problem try using a back tension release like the EVO+ or the squeeze me.
The evo will not work. If he creeps out of the valley the release will go off. Fix the problem not the symptom.

·
Time is ticking away
2,222 Posts
I have the same problem with my Hoyt. Is there any way to shorten the draw without changing out the cams? I have the Z3 cams.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
You can get as much as 3/8 - 1/2 by untwisting cables and twisting the string.

·
Registered
34,166 Posts
Creeping doesn't always mean your draw is long....I have friends that are good archers and they creep from time to time and their dl is perfect for them.

It could be that he shoots a very weak shot on with dynamic tension....or what most call back tension :wink:

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for the replys. I recently switched from a strap style release to a stan sx2. I have another bow on the way so i will set that one at 27" And see if that makes a difference.Then i can get another cam for my drenalin. Thanks again for the help

·
Registered
34,166 Posts
Thanks for the replys. I recently switched from a strap style release to a stan sx2. I have another bow on the way so i will set that one at 27" And see if that makes a difference.Then i can get another cam for my drenalin. Thanks again for the help
If that's the case....I doubt it's drawlength.

Most people can shoot a draw that is a little longer with a hand held release then they can with a wrist strap.

·
Sultan of Smack
5,728 Posts
+1, fix the problem shorten the draw.:wink:

Can't really tell if the draw is too long without seeing a picture. I'm not convinced that it is always a dl that's too long. Some people need to learn how to pull thru the wall, whether they are shoot BT or conventional wrist strap releases.

SCFox

1 - 20 of 24 Posts