Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first post and I am looking for honest opinions. I am getting back into archery hunting after a long lay off. I recently won a shotgun that I didn't need, so I sold it and have some "free" money that I want to turn into a new bow. I have shot a bunch of set ups and have narrowed my selection to 3. They are (in no particular order) the Bowtech Assassin RAK, Matthews Z7 Extreme & Mission Venture. The Z7 is at the top end of my budget and the Assassin is at the low end with the Venture falling in the middle. My thoughts are mixed. One one hand, I have this "free" money so I should get the set up I like best. My other line of thinking is that since I am just getting back into the game, I should leave myself somewhere to go in terms of upgrading in the future. I have the money for any of these and I am continuing to shoot all 3 in hopes that 1 of them will set itself apart from the others. I am looking for input from you folks. I want honest opinions. I don't want to hear "You can go wrong with any of the 3". Give me your thoughts, pull no punches and I will sit back and enjoy your thoughts. Thanks for you advice and my apologies for the length of this post.

·
Banned
150 Posts
Out of those I like the Assassin. Money aside I thought the Assassin was superior the the Z7 in every aspect. I personally couldn't think of one thing preferred about the Z7 over the Assassin. I didn't shoot the Mission.

·
Lift, Run, Shoot
12,866 Posts
IMO buying a Mission is like stepping back in time about 10 years.

I'd go with one of the others - or add a little extra cash to the pot and get a Bowtech Invasion or Hoyt CRX32.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input. I shot the Invasion and I actually prefer the Assassin over it. Don't get me wrong, the Invasion was nice, but the Assassin seemed to fit me better.

·
Registered
18,299 Posts
Husker, the assassin is a good set up and I would look at that, Take the money you save off it and upgrade, sights, rest and stuff like that. Assassin has had glowing reviews on here

·
Registered
13 Posts
Husker
I recently bought a Mission Venture and added a Harmonic stabilizer and a Walnut hand grip. I chose Mathews products over Diamond and Hoyt. While I have not shot the Bowtech Assassin In my opinion it has a Dbl cam configuration and factory installed sight,arrowrest and whatever else the put on there for there R.A.K. system. The Assassin is not Bowtechs top of the line Bow the Z7 is Mathews top of the line a Ferrari in my opinion. The Venture is not the top of the line Mission by Mathews the Mission Vxt is . The only difference between the Venture and the Vxt is 3 inches axel to axel a Walnut grip ($23.oo) and Harmonic Stabilizer($19.00) they both have the same string and cam, deadend string stop and grub and roller guard the Venture is 321 ft per second has no hand shock and just as quiet as the Z7 for the low price of $475.00 with out the walnut hand grip and stabilizer. With a Mathews lifetime Guarentee. Just remember Mathews is a Bow company first and foremost and Bowtech is owned by a Gun company ( Savage Arms) if I where you I would go with the Bow company.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
go with mission cant beat it

·
Registered
4,023 Posts
You may want to look in the classifieds here. you can get something for .70 cents on a dollar.
I agree with this 100%.

I was in the same boat as you last month. I went out and shot everything I could put my hands on and tried in vain to decide. It ain't easy..I know. Sure..having a brand new shiny toy is great..who doesn't like opening new presents...but..stop with the leaving room to upgrade thoughts alone..you should be concentrating on getting one that will work best for you right now.

There are lots of excellent used bows in the classified section..and many aren't even listed yet.The reason I say this is because there are lots of guys who just haven't listed them yet and are waiting till someone posts a WTB (want to buy add ) for one..You will see the longer you are looking...so..my honest opinion is to do what I and countless others have do when starting up..or in my case over again..and to look at the used market real close. If you want to stretch your money the furthest..this is the best way to do it. I shot all of the top line bows..and the low end ones as well..and unless you set you expectations a little higher you will not know what you are missing out on.

Go shoot every bow..from the most expensive..and slightly under that you can..then decide what you want.Don't just look at the price tag because like what was said..on slightly used equipment..the cost is a-lot cheaper..Many guys love to upgrade and have the money to do it..You can wind up with far more than what you have selected right now..I did..I found a like new Hoyt Maxxis and got it at a great price..then was able to trade it for one I really liked 1 month later that was completely new in the box....and now have a super sweet Hoyt Alpha Burner that I love..set up exactly as I wanted it to be to begin with..at a fraction of the cost for a brand new one..with a warranty..It takes a little effort but worth every penny..

If this is something your not will to do..I shot the Assassin.. while a very nice bow..I much preferred the D-340 to it..and the Z-7..Of those 2..I would choose the D-340...that bow just seems to hold it's value longer..and if you pay attention to the for sale adds..you'll see what I mean..but the Z-7 is a very nice bow..

Lastly...where ever you go shoot them...make sure you are shooting it set up as close to your actual measurements as you can get it..Shooting one with too long or too short of draw length or too much poundage will give you false impressions on how the bow will actually do when you have it..Your test driving a bow for you and your measurements..not for someone else.

Good Luck

Mac

·
Registered
448 Posts
I was in a very similar spot a couple of months ago. Look at a Bow figure what the "rigged" price was, compromise here to save a dollar here or there. I looked at the Assassin but realized I would replace accessories with what I wanted which drives up that cost. Finally shifted, if I'm spending it, I'm spending it on what I want. I didn't want to look back and say I settled for brand x when what I wanted was maybe a couple hundred more. Just my thoughts and so far no regrets in the least.

·
Registered
4,227 Posts
Out of those I like the Assassin. Money aside I thought the Assassin was superior the the Z7 in every aspect. I personally couldn't think of one thing preferred about the Z7 over the Assassin. I didn't shoot the Mission.
I agree 100%. The assassin is tough to beat for the price. Great bow.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Make sure you shoot all the major bows before you decide. And the flagship bow isn't always the most forgiving. Starting up again you might want a little longer ata or bh than some of the smaller speed bows offer. Just food for thought.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I bought my first bow this year and ended with the Assassin. The bow shot well for me and felt nice in the hand plus I couldn't beat the price. I normally spend the money on more expensive items but figured since this was my first bow it wouldn't be my last. This would give me time to find out all the nuances of the bow without breaking the bank twice. You also have to consider all the extra items you will need to purchase when you get a bow like arrows, trigger, case...and any upgrades. My first upgrade is going to be a new stab (b stinger) which can always transfer to a new bow down the road.

And for those of you who would say I could have just bought the right bow the first time, it wouldn't have mattered what bow I bought because I still would end up with at least two. Being my first bow, how well do I really know what I really like because I don't have a lot of experience to compare it to but shop time.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts