Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone continue bow hunting during the rifle season? If so, have you been successful?

·
Banned
3,965 Posts
Yes & yes.

·
Registered
224 Posts
If I didn't I sure wouldn't get to bowhunt much. We only get 29 days before youth season (4 days), muzzleloader season (5 days), and then rifle season (72 days). Doesn't seem very popular here as I don't know too many people that keep bowhunting. There are some of us, but most people pick up the rifle and never look back. And yes, I have killed plenty deer once rifle season starts.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
In my part of the world, deer season opens Aug. 15th & all modes of hunting are a go from day 1. So yes, I "continue" to bowhunt or I never would bowhunt at all.

·
Registered
524 Posts
It's not legal here, for some reason or another.

·
Registered
653 Posts
If I didn't I sure wouldn't get to bowhunt much. We only get 29 days before youth season (4 days), muzzleloader season (5 days), and then rifle season (72 days). Doesn't seem very popular here as I don't know too many people that keep bowhunting. There are some of us, but most people pick up the rifle and never look back. And yes, I have killed plenty deer once rifle season starts.
I am pretty much the same way. I will pick up the rifle to hunt with some friends or my dad a couple times a year but most of the time when I step in the woods my bow is with me.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Its not legal here in Illinois for Shotgun seasons. You can during muzzleloader, handgun, and youth seasons but you must wear blaze orange then.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Nope, that is typically the peak of the waterfowl migration:set1_applaud:

·
Registered
337 Posts
Love It

Love bowhunting during rifle season because rifle season normally comes in right around the peek of the rut and the chances of getting one dramatically increase for me. Absolutely love bowhunting, havent taken a rifle in several years now.

·
Registered
634 Posts
This is my first year with a bow, and I've hunted for years with a gun. I plan on going bow-only this year.

In MO, you can hunt during gun season with a bow HOWEVER, any deer you take/check MUST be done under a firearms tag NOT a bow tag.

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
Yes you will find me in my tree with my blaze orange clothing this time of year! The rut really starts to kick in here up North and the hunting can be phenominal. I also hunt with my bow almost exclusively. It is legal to use your archery gear to fill your firearms tag in North Dakota. Archery season also remains open during the rifle season. So regardless if I have my archery tag, rifle tag, or both tags in my pocket I am toting a bow. Lot of rifle hunters in North Dakota hunt by doing deer drives and there can be a lot of action in the woods since deer are constantly on the move from getting pushed and from the rutting activity. Some of my best hunting is during this time.

·
Registered
785 Posts
I do unless Im on a pay gun hunt somewhere, then I will drag out the old rifle, but if they have any bow stands already set up then I will bow hunt.

·
Registered
741 Posts
We can carry both in Oklahoma at the same time as long as both are in season. I quit rifle hunting years ago though except the 3 day bonus doe days in December, then I'll break out the .270 and top off the freezer.

·
Registered
572 Posts
All the time except if I need meat because I didn't connect during early season. I usually then shoot a doe for the freezer and then back to the string and stick. Nothing wrong with gun hunting but like most on here I believe once the bow hunting bites you, gun is secondary. There's just something about stick hunting that gets in the blood....

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for the responses...I'm planning on giving it a try this year. On the same theme, does anyone else carry both rifle and bow in case there is a long range shot?

·
Banned
2,779 Posts
It depends, if I'm hunting an area with a bigger open view I'll carry the benelli. Otherwise most views I have
are 50yds and in so I stick with the xbow

1 - 20 of 31 Posts