Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I'm looking to get my newly adopted son into archery. He has come to a few 3d shoots with me and has been asking for a bow of his own. At first I thought about just buying him a Fiberglass stick bow, (that is what I had when I started), or a Martin Tiger. He is 10, and has about a 20" DL. I want a bow that he will enjoy shooting and be able to grow with. After a search here the Diamond Nuclear Ice seems to get rave reviews, but at $179 I hate to buy it and then have to sell it if he loses interest.

What have you all bought for your kids?

·
Registered
670 Posts
My 9yr old daughter is shooting the Nuclear Ice and loves it! HUGE adjustability for a good price.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Can you find your "Ice" bow as a pre-owned here on AT or eBay?

·
Registered
578 Posts
I think it would be really hard to find a better youth bow than the Mission Menace. Tons of adjustability, a bow he would be able to shoot for many years and take into the woods as well if he so desires.

The price is higher than the Nuclear Ice, but if you look at the about of adjustability the Menace has, it is really a no brainer.

ATA - 31"
BH - 7 1/4"
DW - 16-52lbs
DL - 17-30"

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
If he's ten I would buy him something a little bigger than the nuclear ice.

Don't get me wrong the nuclear ice is a great kids bow if there 6 or 7 years but it would be to small for a 10 year old in another year.

Look at a Darton Ranger III, lots of adjustment and is a real enough bow that he could easily take his first deer with it in a year or two.

·
Archery Blogger/Writer
9,332 Posts
My .02...

1) At 10 years old, he's likely on the bubble between getting a bow that maxes out at 29#, to a 30-40# bow.

At the shop plus with some of the students, we see kids ranging from an 8 year old boy shooting a 41# compound @ 21" DL to a 13 year old girl shooting a compound at 25#/25" DL.

2) You can find a lot of different bows on the market that would fit. My personal recommendation is to go with a bow that he can grow with. That being said, the following bows off the top of my head can grow easily with no cam changes and possibly one limb change:

- Diamond Razor Edge. Literally one of the most popular youth bows on the market today.

- Bowtech Soldier. The cousin to the Diamond Razor Edge

- Darton Ranger. Good adjustability, lots of color options, including a really nice candy apple red.

- Parker Sidekick. Decent bow, lots of adjustability.

- PSE Chaos SI. Very good bow, popular shooter.

- Hoyt Trykon Junior. Very good bow.

I would hedge against the Nuclear Ice. For most average 10 year old boys and their size, the NI would be a tad bit too small.

3) Get your 10 year old measured. A 20" DL sounds a bit too short to me for most 10 year olds.

And, spend the money now. I'll pick on the Diamond Razor Edge as an example. With an average street price of about $329 for a complete package without arrows and release, you could find out if he likes shooting. If not, you could sell the package for about $290 (sans arrows and release) and walk away with a minimal loss.

As an instructor, I really recommend you get him fitted properly. I cannot tell you how many kids get burned out from archery due to improperly fitted equipment, specifically draw weight and draw length. Get those two factors set, and he'll enjoy it.

-Steve

·
Registered
4,305 Posts
If you're not so sure if he's going to really like it get him a Genesis or a Browning Micro Midas or something, and then if he really likes it then get him something more top of the line.

·
Registered
17,328 Posts
After a search here the Diamond Nuclear Ice seems to get rave reviews, but at $179 I hate to buy it and then have to sell it if he loses interest.
You can find them a LOT cheaper on Ebay most of the time. The Nuclear Ice is a nice cheap lil' bow for someone wanting to see if they are going to like the sport.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I bought my son a PSE Buckeye Take down recurve for starter. $99.00 most places, Simple to set up and lots of fun, and a quality bow. If your kid wants to move up to compound then move them up when their ready. My son has shot for 3 years and just finally liked to move to compound. Just a suggestion though.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Get him the Diamond Razor Edge. It is a great bow and he will be able to shoot the heck out of it in no time which will keep him interested. I got one for my daughter when she turned 11 just a few months ago and right out of the box she was able to shoot it great which really excited her.

P.S. The nuclear ice is going to be too small for a 10 year old..

·
Registered
166 Posts
I think it would be really hard to find a better youth bow than the Mission Menace. Tons of adjustability, a bow he would be able to shoot for many years and take into the woods as well if he so desires.

The price is higher than the Nuclear Ice, but if you look at the about of adjustability the Menace has, it is really a no brainer.

ATA - 31"
BH - 7 1/4"
DW - 16-52lbs
DL - 17-30"
I 2nd the menace. I bought one for my son at age 10 1/2. He just turned 12and is still shooting it. It has saved me a lot of money. His DL as gone up about three inches and all I have to do is make the 2 second cam adjustment. It is a nice shooting bow as well.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
personally

i would go with a diamond razer edge great adjustability and grow with him for a while. up to 28 inch draw

·
Registered
614 Posts
My daughter will be 9 next month, her draw length is also 20" and we just bought her a Diamond Razor Edge. Although the Diamond Ice does get great reviews, to me it didn't look as well made as it should and didn't have that real bow look. The Razor is excellent in appearance and function and has a limb upgrade program as most of the youth bows do. It is a more money, but if he doesn't like it, the resale pretty good, so you should get hurt to bad on it.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My .02...
I would hedge against the Nuclear Ice. For most average 10 year old boys and their size, the NI would be a tad bit too small.
-Steve
We adopted him and his little brother from the Ukraine. He is small for a 10 year old, nutrition at an orphanage is lacking.
I measured his wingspan and divided by 2.5. I'll take all of those into consideration.

I will have to look here in the classifieds, though he is left handed so bows are a little harder to find.

Thanks for the info all

1 - 15 of 15 Posts