Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 11 YO son had expressed interest in bow shooting. What model do you recommend that will "grow" with him?

·
Born yank raised south
16,771 Posts
Diamond Razor Edge. Bought my son one two years ago and he has gone from a 23" DL to a 27" DL this year. He could barely pull it back turned all the way down then and has it turned all the way up now. They are nice bows and have lots of adjustment. I took the accessories off of his after a few months and put better sights, rest, and peep on it. Hope this helps

·
Registered
7,538 Posts
Diamond Razor Edge. Bought my son one two years ago and he has gone from a 23" DL to a 27" DL this year. He could barely pull it back turned all the way down then and has it turned all the way up now. They are nice bows and have lots of adjustment. I took the accessories off of his after a few months and put better sights, rest, and peep on it. Hope this helps
x2 these bows are amazing in that they can take a yougster from barely able to complete archer in one bow.

·
Shootin and Cussin
23,612 Posts
Look at the Mission line. They have the ability to grow with him until he hits a 31" draw.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Keep the replies coming. My local shop also recommended the Diamond Razor Edge.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Bear apprentice is best value and grow-ability out there. 25-50# 17"-27" dw and it is adjustable by limbs DL doesnt dictate what max poundage is and all for a 100$ less than the diamond!

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Another vote for a razor edge and its adjustability. The bow is outstanding, quiet, quick and easy to draw. My soon to be 10 yo is pulling 36 lbs and his accuracy to 30+ yards would make a lot of grown ups blush, including me. We also have a 40-50 Chaos One that is sweet and about 10-15fps faster than the razor edge all things comparable, but lb for lb is a tougher draw then the edge.

Attachments

·
Registered
698 Posts
Just bought my grandson a Parker Sidekick...he's a lefty.Very nice bow,adjustable to extended draw lenghts and weight.
He shot it well right off the bat.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Great to hear another kid is interested in Archery. It's hard to beat the Diamond Razors Edge for a starter bow. Be mindful that the stock strings on these bows aren't the best so you might want to watch the string stretch. It's not insurmountable and many of the entry level bows have similar concerns. I've started out a couple young archers with these bows. I typically set them up with a Whisker Biscuit and a rubber tubed peep. The last thing I want is panic over a peep that didn't rotate or a fall away that the arrow skidded off of. Best of luck!!

·
Registered
410 Posts
Mission Craze! check it out..$299 and he can use it for life.

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
Just bought my grandson a Parker Sidekick...he's a lefty.Very nice bow,adjustable to extended draw lenghts and weight.
He shot it well right off the bat.
:thumbs_up

Ours is on boy number 2. Awesome bow and very easy to adjust once the growth spurt hits around 12... was adjusting the oldest boys draw length about a 1/2 inch every couple months. Feel sorry for him, that crap hurts when it happens so fast.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
+1 for the Razor Edge. Draw length is adjustable from 19" to 29" and weight from 30-60# (without swapping limbs as electricg2 suggested). It comes with everything you need except arrows, a release, and an arm guard. He'll probably grow out of needing the arm guard pretty quickly, but better safe than explaining to momma why he has that big ass bruise you could have prevented!

·
Registered
15,280 Posts
Mission Menace or Craze
Possibly a Maniac
Diamond Razor Edge is a nice choice also
Hoyt Rukus

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
2x on the diamond, my 12 year old loves hers

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks to all. Sounds like the Diamond Razor Edge is the way to go. Now I have to find $ 329.00.

·
74,535 Posts
Diamond Razor edge gets my vote as well.
DB

·
Registered
858 Posts
I went through the same last year with my son.....We went with the Hoyt Ruckus. I am not a fanboy. This bow flat out shoots and has a wide range of adjustability......do your self a favor, and check one out!!

Good luck

·
Registered
17,328 Posts
My boys had the Diamonds but like their Hoyt Ruckus and Bear Apprentice MUCH better. I have to admit they seem to be a LOT higher quality then the Diamond bows are and they have every bit of adjustment, if not more! 18-28", 20-50# for the Ruckus!

·
FIGJAM
2,303 Posts
x15 on The Diamond Razors Edge. My 12 yr old boy is shooting great with his. Were on his third adjustment on draw lenght and he's always asking me turn turn up the weight more. Great bow for a growing boy or girl!

1 - 20 of 51 Posts