Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I switcher over to archery a couple years ago, and have been totally hooked since day 1. I am 6'5" 31 1/2 draw length, have been shooting at 70 lb on a bowtech realm x.

When I was first looking for a bow I shot that bow, a few hoyt bows, a Matthews, and a couple PSE bows. I liket the hoyt carbon defiant, 2nd best, but the smooth, oh so smooth shot on the realmx got me. I have loved that bow for a couple years. I didn't stay on the comfort setting for long, and switched it over for full raw power. And... Then It got stolen along with most my hunting gear. I was really heartbroken.

Now I am moving on and trying to find my next bow. I as mentioned, I need a big bow so my options are more limited.

Bowtech and hoyt have changed their current lineups a lot since then. Looking for some real world experience and recommendations from my fellow big friends.

Looking to try and buy any time in the next few months.

Thanks!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hi all, I switcher over to archery a couple years ago, and have been totally hooked since day 1. I am 6'5" 31 1/2 draw length, have been shooting at 70 lb on a bowtech realm x.

When I was first looking for a bow I shot that bow, a few hoyt bows, a Matthews, and a couple PSE bows. I liket the hoyt carbon defiant, 2nd best, but the smooth, oh so smooth shot on the realmx got me. I have loved that bow for a couple years. I didn't stay on the comfort setting for long, and switched it over for full raw power. And... Then It got stolen along with most my hunting gear. I was really heartbroken.

Now I am moving on and trying to find my next bow. I as mentioned, I need a big bow so my options are more limited.

Bowtech and hoyt have changed their current lineups a lot since then. Looking for some real world experience and recommendations from my fellow big friends.

Thanks!
Mathews just released the Atlas 34" ata if i remember correctly and goes up to 34" draw length.

·
Registered
417 Posts

Thanks!
I remember seeing your KSL post about all your stuff getting stolen and being heartbroken! Sorry to hear that man, messed up.
You could always buy another revolt x off the classifieds here... if it’s the one it’s the one!
If you are definitely going new bow... I’d wait and see what Prime releases! The specs I’ve heard about their new releases are sweet. Awesome bows!

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
PSE Beast with Evolve Cams. I’ve seen one in the classified’s recently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
49,866 Posts
When it gets over 30" your choices get limited. But every bow company has a bow that will fit you. There are more out there than you think.

·
Registered
9,641 Posts
It might be considered part of the 'target' line, but I've had my eye on a Mathews TRX 38. Goes to 31.5 and with the longer A to A, would provide a more preferable string angle for me.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Shooting the Mathews traverse at 32” and 70#. Getting 314 fps. As I understand it Mathews just changed their lineup and didn’t include the traverse moving forward. Maybe you can find an “old” model year a little cheaper. I think they’re hard to find period though.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Also have a 31 draw like said above our selection gets limited thankfully more companies are starting to put out new bows with longer draws. Always shot bowtech currently a realm maybe try the revolt? Hearing a lot of good things about them. Hope you find what you want

·
Registered
25 Posts
Mathews Atlas - 34 3/4 ATA, up to 34" draw, 7 3/4 Brace Height, 350 IBO = Beast! When I was at the bow shop a couple days ago, a big guy next to me tried one, loved it and bought it right away.
My draw length is just long enough for it will try one out for the heck of it. But just bought a VXR a few months ago so not ready to have the old lady beating me upside the head trying to buy a new bow again lol.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Mathews Atlas - 34 3/4 ATA, up to 34" draw, 7 3/4 Brace Height, 350 IBO = Beast! When I was at the bow shop a couple days ago, a big guy next to me tried one, loved it and bought it right away.
They got 350 fps out of it at 34 inches thats not a 350 IBO. IBO is 30inch 70 LB. Atlas is more like a 310-315 ibo.

·
Registered
984 Posts
I just saw on Matthew's site that they're saying 350 IBO for the atlas. Seems pretty disingenuous to claim that.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Mathews just released the Atlas 34" ata if i remember correctly and goes up to 34" draw length.
Are you a big atlas fan or Matthews fan? What made you want to recommend this? Or was more just a big bow that you know exists? Thanks for clarification. Much appreciated.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I am surprised that nobody has thrown out anything about hoyt. Previously that is what got pounded into me as being the best out there. Perhaps that just was not true and was more reflective of some similar minded people all ganging up on me ;) what do you all think of hoyt?

·
Registered
417 Posts
I am surprised that nobody has thrown out anything about hoyt. Previously that is what got pounded into me as being the best out there. Perhaps that just was not true and was more reflective of some similar minded people all ganging up on me ;) what do you all think of hoyt?
haha that’s cause Hoyt is based out of Utah...i get a lot of the same grief for not shooting Hoyt 😉 Hoyt is a GREAT company. I think they make awesome bows and have a lot of stuff figured out. To me it can’t be about brand, it’s gotta be the bow that fits you best and that you shoot best.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
K, that's what I wondered. I agree that it needs to be about the bow, but I also know that there is a lot that I don't know yet, so trying to get others logic for what they like and why.

·
Shootin and Cussin
23,210 Posts
Hoyt XXL is a good choice as well as the new Mathews Atlas.

·
Registered
26 Posts
My draw length is just long enough for it will try one out for the heck of it. But just bought a VXR a few months ago so not ready to have the old lady beating me upside the head trying to buy a new bow again lol.
Let me know if you need to sell that VXR real quick...you know, just trying to help you out...;)

·
Just thwackin' it.
6,976 Posts
I just saw on Matthew's site that they're saying 350 IBO for the atlas. Seems pretty disingenuous to claim that.
A bow with a 7 3/4" brace height IBOs (30"/70#/350gr) at 350 fps? I highly doubt it. Those numbers HAVE to be at 34". With that sort of tech, the Expedite and it's short brace would be pushing 380-390 IBO.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts