Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My cousins grandson has taken a real shine to archery and he has sort of latched on to me, I guess because it appears know a little bit about bow hunting (I probably know more that the rest of his friends and family but that isn't saying much).

He's a great kid and I would like to help him. I've talked till I'm blue in the face about safety, practice needed, etc etc in an attempt to see if this is just a passing fancy or if he is serious. the kid is an absolute sponge and never flinches when I kind of get in his face about practicing and good bow hunting ethics. He does deer hunt with his grand dad with a shot gun so he has some background.

His problem is that his parents have zero interest in his interest in archery. His dad hunts but doesn't take him along (kids are too much trouble:angry::thumbs_do). Likewise his parents have made it clear that if he wants a bow he'll have to buy it himself. they are not wealthy but seem to have plenty of disposable income for their toys. Although, whether its out of spite or just pride he is determined to buy this bow on his own.

By the way this is not the typical teenager with way too many toys. He just loves being out side, helps cut firewood and can change the tire on a care faster than Jeff Gordon's pit crew.

His other problem is that he is 13 and growing like a weed. He's shot my wife's Parker Sidekick set at 26 inches and 40lbs. The 26 inches is about right but he will grow out of that draw length in short order I am sure. the 40lb draw is not much of a challenge even though he's only shot it a few times. With a little practice I think he could get close to 50lbs quickly.

He is not the type of kid who needs a brand new anything. He would be happy with a 5 or 6 year old used bow that is in good shape. He needs a model with plenty of draw length adjustment so it can grow with him; he won't have the money to buy another bow next year. Something with a draw weight that can be adjusted from around 45 up to 55/60 lbs would be perfect. It would be even better if the bow came rigged with sight, rest, quiver, etc. they don't have to be top shelf accessories, that is not important to him either...functionality is important to him. I can help him with a couple of accessories if need be.

His budget is about $150. If anyone has a bow that you think will fit these parameter please let me know with a PM.

Thanks

·
Registered
4,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Have had a couple of nice responses but haven't found what we need yet. Anyone have a bow that would fit the bill?

Thanks

1 - 2 of 2 Posts