Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so i got bored today and wanted to build a bow grip, i was wondering if anyone has built one already or am i gonna be the first? i'm currently sanding on the block of wood i cut out for the grip,

Hoping it works,
Scotty

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
Keep us posted.

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
It has been done. I'm slowly working on a set of panels for my bear. Keep us posted tho.

·
Registered
71 Posts
i made some for my bear element out of poplar w/ golden oak stain, turned out alot better than i expected..i have pics on here somewere..

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
nice, didn't think anyone has done this before, my question is, what are panels for a bow? i still gotta lot more sanding to do and cutting to do, need a bandsaw for the rest of the cutting though, hoping my engineering teacher will let me use the bandsaw at school. i started the grip from decking wood and cut it out with a jigsaw, so far here's what i have,

Scotty

Attachments

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Panels or side plates, I've heard them called both. I personally don't like big bulky grips.

These are the factory panels on my bear. Making a set thats a little more form fitted to my hand.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Saw

use a coping saw you can do alot more detail and cut tighter corners leave the lines and file or sand to them. I made all the handles for my dragster out of walnut and they have 4 side pates per steering wheel. Good start you have going

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
coping saw? don't think my dad has one nor does my high school, don't have the money to go out buy one either with parents paying bills, trying to buy tickets for a monster truck show or see iron man 2 and having to get me a cell phone charger now, i ain't too worried about details anyhow,

Scotty

·
Registered
71 Posts
coping saw is the way to go,i used one on my plates

·
Registered
707 Posts
I made a grip for my dxt it wasn't that hard I used a table saw a band saw and a belt sander and I shoot better with it too

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
coping saw? don't think my dad has one nor does my high school, don't have the money to go out buy one either with parents paying bills, trying to buy tickets for a monster truck show or see iron man 2 and having to get me a cell phone charger now, i ain't too worried about details anyhow,

Scotty
Coping saws are cheap. Scroll saw is the motorized version and most all high school shop classes have one of those.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
don't think my dad has one

i'll have to see if my teacher has one, i still wanna use the band saw

Use the band saw to remove the bulk of the wood. A coping/scroll saw is for the more detailed stuff. They have fine blades that you can cut a tight radius with. If you have ever seen inlay work of a picture or something with really small details most often its done with a scroll saw.

A bit more detailed than a bow grip but was done with a scroll saw

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
I just finished mine. Its made of very high quality printer paper and some heavy duty packing tape;)

Sold my grip and waiting for my other one to come in. And its just so my hands dont get sticky from the little bit of adhesive left on the riser.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Here's one Dad and I made for my Bowtech 101st Airborne. It is made out of purple heart and curly maple.
IMG_4774.jpg

·
Registered
319 Posts
The grip on my Xforce was just way too small and made it hard to get good stable shots. I took the rubber strap that goes around the inside of a bicycle tire and wraped it around my handle giving me more to grip onto. Works like a charm and best part it was freee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The grip on my Xforce was just way too small and made it hard to get good stable shots. I took the rubber strap that goes around the inside of a bicycle tire and wraped it around my handle giving me more to grip onto. Works like a charm and best part it was freee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
doesn't limbsaver have something like that that silences the bow a little bit?

Scotty

1 - 20 of 34 Posts