Archery Talk Forum banner

Bow Grip

4023 Views 15 Replies 12 Participants Last post by  p47dman
Hi,
Has anyone come up with a way to make a grip out of either wood or fiberglass/graphite? I don't mean the little side plates but the full size grip. I just got my new Barnsdale Custom X for target shooting and the little handle is doing a number on my arthritis.
There was a guy, Kris, who had a company here at AT, but he doesn't respond to my e-mails.
Hoyt has wood grips for sale and I guess I could try one of theirs, but I imagine they would be costly.
Any help, any thoughts?

Jim Puehl
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
1,414 Posts
I have made a full grip. I basically made side plates (Cherry)that came past the back of the riser and than made a piece (walnut) that was the same thickness of the riser for the middle. I than laminated together and shaped. I made templates out of poster board. I wanted a grip that was flat and narrow so shaping was easy.

· Jager Archery
2,687 Posts
Hi,
Has anyone come up with a way to make a grip out of either wood or fiberglass/graphite? I don't mean the little side plates but the full size grip. I just got my new Barnsdale Custom X for target shooting and the little handle is doing a number on my arthritis.
There was a guy, Kris, who had a company here at AT, but he doesn't respond to my e-mails.
Hoyt has wood grips for sale and I guess I could try one of theirs, but I imagine they would be costly.
Any help, any thoughts?

Jim Puehl

I make them for the Barnsdale.

Vase High heels Furniture

Sculpture Vase

· Registered
570 Posts
I'd love to have a full grip as well for my Hoyt ProElite, those little "Nancy Boy", Hoyt supplied side plates just don't cut it.

· Registered
8,033 Posts

· Registered
4,056 Posts
jim I have hoyt wooden grips for cheap if your interested Pm me!

· Registered
3,037 Posts
DIY thread and all these ads for someone to 'buy' :sad:

· Registered
279 Posts
Grips

I have been making one myself for my old Oneida Aeroforce.
I just took a piece of cardboard and made a template.
I am by no means a wood worker. So, all I had was a hacksaw, chisel, dremel tool, and sandpaper.
I just started cutting, chiseling, and sanding (walnut). It looks good so far.
It is alotta work, but will be worth it in the end.
I'll post pics as soon as I can.

Jon

· Registered
570 Posts
I have been making one myself for my old Oneida Aeroforce.
I just took a piece of cardboard and made a template.
I am by no means a wood worker. So, all I had was a hacksaw, chisel, dremel tool, and sandpaper.
I just started cutting, chiseling, and sanding (walnut). It looks good so far.
It is alotta work, but will be worth it in the end.
I'll post pics as soon as I can.

Jon
I'd like to see a photo of that when you're done, though I love my maple grips on my 1992 Aeroforce.

· Registered
173 Posts
here is a one piece I made yesterday out of treated wood, I haven't put anything on it yet but I am thinking of using a clear epoxy:D
I don't have walnut or hickory but I should get a few years out of this:D

I made the strap with para chord

· Registered
1,133 Posts
If you want the grain to Jump out at you, use a torch. This will darken it and then lightly sand and clear coat. You will not believe the contrast you will get. Good luck.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.