Archery Talk Forum banner

Would you take your bow during general gun??

• Yes

Votes: 92 61.7%
  • NO

Votes: 35 23.5%
  • Maybe

Votes: 23 15.4%
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
9,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question, how many would take there bow out during general gun, if they had a short or unsuccessful bowseason???

·
Registered
169 Posts
I would

I can't on the properties I hunt, (only archery only designated areas ((state land)) are bows permitted during the gun season). But I would If i could.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Not only WOULD

I do......and have for about three years and plan on continue doing so.

For me, the thrill of the hunt is what it is all about and I just don't get the same thrill of blasting one anymore with my M. L.

Personally, I would rather shoot a decent buck with my bow than a hog buck with a gun.

Gun season here in Indiana is when I see most the big boys and sooner or later I'll skewer a big one during gun season with my bow. :thumbs_up

The added challenge, the self regulated restrictions of doing so only make my hunting season more and more fulfilling.

·
Registered
580 Posts
if i had an unsuccessful bow season i would use my bow durring gun season if allowed!!! but since its not allowed ill be using what my son calls the sniper rifle(50 cal. black diamond xr/3x9 leupold)

·
Registered
7,765 Posts
I got a license that allows me to use a bow or a gun so I normally hunt with the bow when I'm in the stand then when I walk in to get our handy caped hunter I always carry a .357 handgun in just in case a monster buck walks out in front of me. But if i dont have any bucks close of they are spookie i grab the trusty 280 deer rifle for the last weekend.
matt

·
Banned
112 Posts
poll

My bow never gets put up from oct.15-jan.31. It is the only item i prefer to shoot if the big one is to far away ihave the next year if not next weekend. i am avid with my bowhunting and prfer it over a gun at any time. LOVE MY BIOWTECH.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
I have not used a gun for along time, 15 years or so, and I only used it then because I only had a morning hunt left, and the rancher was upset about the amount of does taken so far. So my buddy and I popped a couple each. I love bowhunting.....and really have no desire to rifle hunt. just my feelings, I have nothing against those that use a gun, just not my cup of tea. I usually have a full freezer at the end of the season. :D Love bowhunting!

·
Registered
9,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cool!!!

Glad to see I'm not the only one taking a bow out during general gun, I'm just not very comfortable with guns, but after seeing the new hunt lease, I'm thinking I'm going to need something to reach out and touch em with. But that is as a last ditch effort, I'd still love to take one with my bow.
Thanks for the imput :wink:

·
Registered
381 Posts
Actually I rarely venture out during the modern gun season (even though it runs during the peak of the rut). I just don't care to gun hunt and leave the woods to the orange army. If I do have a poor early season and venture out it will be with a bow.

·
Registered
8,821 Posts
I have been converted bow only last year and bow only this year. Took gun first day of season last year and let one of the biggest bucks I've ever seen walk from 25 yards. No contest, he was dead with the gun. Never got him with the bow my neighbor shot him 5 days later and to top it off I caped it out! :(

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
I will be taking my bow out during the gun season if need be. The only concern I have is some of the public land I hunt on gets a lot of pressure during gun season. It could make for a harder retrieve if the deer dosn't go down right away. I also think the deer are a little more skittish in rifle season, so being extra sure of your shot is a must.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Oregon seasons are weapon specific, so there is no such choice for us. However if (and I hope to do this soon) I make a trip north for caribou I will hunt with my UT first and take my trusty old .270 along in case the success of the trip is in jeopardy. I enjoy both tools very much and simply go with the flow. BT

·
Registered
9,795 Posts
No gun for me...

I've got a 30-30 with Iron sights.... I haven't shot it 12 YEARS! I clean it yearly though (it never leaves it's gun case, except to get cleaned). It's the only deer-worthy rifle I have.

I hunted all last year with my bow, through all stages of the NC season. During gun season, I wore a Hunter Orange hat, but hunted with the bow.... that's it. Just doesn't do it for me to pop one with a rifle..... shotgun... maybe. I love my Beretta Xtrema and it begged me last year to let it have a shot at a deer with some buckshot. I told it "maybe next year sweetie".... as I slowly scrubbed it with Hoppes cleaner! :D

-ZA206

·
Registered
6,421 Posts
Heck,,,,,, I sold my rifle to finance to bow hunting habits,,, I love to shoot bow,, But if I get into a jam and need meat,,,, I use my T/C Omega,, heck,, these days a muzzleloader works as good as a rifle,, But alot more fun to shoot..
Takeum

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
The only time I take my rifle out with me is when I take my son hunting. Other then that I only take my bow!

·
Registered
224 Posts
I have in the past few years taken my rifle out but only on the Hunters for the Hungry weekends. I really like to participate in that porgram whenever I get the chance. A few years ago, I drew my bow to double check peep alignment etc. before I hit the woods and my D-loop broke. I had to get the rifle out :cry: . It was the year that we had game cam pics of a nice 6 x 6 12 pointer and about an hour before dark I got out of the stand because I was afraid I would see that deer and I knew that I couldn't hold off of shooting it, but I did not want to shoot it with a gun. I hope that doesn't sound like I am a bigtime trophy hunter because that is not the case. I am a bowhunter and love taking game with my bow and I have no desire to do it with a gun anymore.

So it is the bow for me!

·
Registered
209 Posts
Thats a dumb question here in MN. Since the DNR has made the Gun season during the peak rut. This is the best time to be in the woods with a bow. Just remember to have some orange on.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts