Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are you guys using if you cant screw something into the tree? I see some aftermarket stuff out there but wondering if anyone has rigged something up for cheaper. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I usually just find a branch i can cut to put my bow on while i sit.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Third hand works great on my climber. I've had it several years and it's still in great shape.

·
Slinging Arrows
671 Posts
Bow holder from Thirdhand Archery works great.
Summit Viper SI climber....Third Hand bow holder, treads, stabilizer straps and utility belt with hooks for extra gear. Everything I have tried from Third Hand has been functional and well thought out.
I use all of these on my Summit Climber except the utility belt.
Thirdhand archery accessories are definitely a game changer.

·
Tiny...
3,148 Posts
you can climb with the thirdhand holder

IMO, it's unsafe to climb with a bow in the holder or on oneself in case of falling (You, it or both). It's better to climb with the bow on the ground and then pull it up via a cord tied to it.

That being said, I use a High Point Archery bow holder:

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
IMO, it's unsafe to climb with a bow in the holder or on oneself in case of falling (You, it or both). It's better to climb with the bow on the ground and then pull it up via a cord tied to it.

I think he was referring to climbing with the bow holder attached to the stand, not so much with the bow in it.

Looks like I have to take a look at thirdhand, thanks guys!

·
Mark
5,160 Posts
3rd Hand for me

·
Registered
7,920 Posts
The climbing stand folks on here have nothing but good to say about the 3rd hand bow holder.

·
Vendor
24,508 Posts
I think he was referring to climbing with the bow holder attached to the stand, not so much with the bow in it.

Looks like I have to take a look at thirdhand, thanks guys!
The slower one climbs the quieter and safer it is. This video, although 20 years old, shows the proper use of the bow holder and how to climb with ones bow in the bow holder. At first, I didn't like the idea of climbing with a bow either. But for the past 20 years, I have climbed safely and quietly with my bow in my climber. We have had many hunter safety instructors agree that this is safer than rushing up a tree. :unsure:

·
Tiny...
3,148 Posts
Nice video, Jim. Thanks for showing how you can climb with bow in the bow holder. I'm still hesitant to climb with it, and prefer to pull it up via rope. Never been one who rushes up the tree as it makes too much noise and can be a safety issue. Figure racing up a tree with for lumberjack competitions. :)

·
Registered
3,785 Posts

Could you explain your thoughts on why is it more/less safe to climb with a bow in a bow holder or attached to a backpack on your back?

I'm an amateur climbing arborist, so I climb with a chainsaw, hand saw, and numerous other things attached to me. I fail to see how a bow would make any real difference. I'm interested to hear your thoughts though.

When I climb with my climber, I normally attach the bow to my backpack and wear that on my back because I don't like the extra weight on one side of my climber. I give up the option to shoot a deer that comes in while I'm climbing, but that's a benefit I'm willing to give up. Normally I'm climbing up before shooting time and down after shooting time, so it's not an issue anyway. If I am climbing up for an afternoon hunt and I feel like I might get a shot on the way up, I will climb with it in the holder, but that doesn't happen much.

·
Tiny...
3,148 Posts
Could you explain your thoughts on why is it more/less safe to climb with a bow in a bow holder or attached to a backpack on your back?

I'm an amateur climbing arborist, so I climb with a chainsaw, hand saw, and numerous other things attached to me. I fail to see how a bow would make any real difference. I'm interested to hear your thoughts though.

When I climb with my climber, I normally attach the bow to my backpack and wear that on my back because I don't like the extra weight on one side of my climber. I give up the option to shoot a deer that comes in while I'm climbing, but that's a benefit I'm willing to give up. Normally I'm climbing up before shooting time and down after shooting time, so it's not an issue anyway. If I am climbing up for an afternoon hunt and I feel like I might get a shot on the way up, I will climb with it in the holder, but that doesn't happen much.
Sure. I think a few things need to be taken into account when one climbs trees:

• Conditioning of the hunter
  • Difficulty of the climb (tree)
  • Amount of gear
  • Frequency/familiarity of climbing
For myself, I don't climb trees except during the hunting season. Most of trees I have hunted in require a hang-on stand instead of a climber, which is slightly different than using a climber. I hunt public property, so I pack in/out what I use. On top of it, I'd say I'm in good shape though on the heavier side. I'd venture a guess that my profile fits a large number of hunters.

On the flip side, as you said, you're an amateur arborist. So, you're very familiar with climbing, lighter and better condition. So, I'd venture a guess that you're much more comfortable in trees than most.

I don't like to climb with gear on me for reasons such as additional weight, gear can shift, if I fall I might land on it and potentially cause more harm/injury to myself (broadheads may become exposed) or break equipment if I land on it whereas it might just fall. If I'm climbing, I want to focus on climbing, not whether my gear might fall, will I miss a deer coming in, etc. I don't race up trees, preferring to take my time. I'll gladly pull a pack and bow up after I get the stand secure.

For those who might say "I've been climbing trees for XX years", an accident can happen at any time. I know people who've been using climbers for years and either fell out of them, or had some type of failure resulting in injuries and/or hospitalization. Rare, yes. But, does happen.

It's all about reducing risk for me. While I may not climb trees frequently, I have climbed more than my fair share of ladders of various heights with heavy gear on while carrying equipment. I've also climbed and then hoisted via rope some equipment. I prefer to climb, then hoist.

All comes down to what we're comfortable with, while being safe.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts