Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering how many of you actual bow hunters have thoughts on the allowance of crossbows. Personally I thought it was fine for those who physically couldn't draw a bow. Those that I currently see shooting them are looking for a "easy" alternative to months of practice and preperation, basically rifle hunters. Just another step to ruin the archery season.:mad:

·
Registered
97 Posts
Agreed. I had no problem with legit bow hunters using crossbows that could not draw a bow due to an injury or age. The new crossbow rules really now favor the ultimate weekend warrior type rifle hunters....basically just added another 5-6 weeks to their rifle hunting season.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Straight up B.S.!!!!!! :pukey:
Just more income for the D.N.R.from the weekend warriors.
I had no issue with people with disabilities or strength issues.
Waiting for the D.N.R. to put a fee on car deer accidents.LOL:darkbeer:

·
Registered
134 Posts
X2
I'm not happy about it at all.I have a friend that is an older guy but not handycaped.He doesn't want to shoot his bow (LAZY) so now he bought a crossbow and keep braging how he can shoot a deer at 70 and 80 yrd!!!I keep tryen to tell him they don't hold KE as well as a compound bow but he just won't listen,Man I hope he doesn't get a shot at a deer!!!

·
Registered
53 Posts
I agee. In my opinion it takes all the shooting skill out of bowhunting. Gives lazy gun hunters more time to hunt with a "short range rifle"

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
i am all for x-bows and i have no problem with people useing them.....i would rather see someone use something they can shoot good with and make a clean ethical kill
plus not everyone can have time to practice with a compound or they just suck at useing one!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
I hate it!!

I know we are all hunters and cross bows have been around for 1200 years, but they should have their own season in Late December!! We state land hunters are screwed no bait and now gun hunters during our season.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i am all for x-bows and i have no problem with people useing them.....i would rather see someone use something they can shoot good with and make a clean ethical kill
plus not everyone can have time to practice with a compound or they just suck at useing one!!!!!!!!!!
And to me the allure of Bow season is the time envolved, the hard work, and all the practice envolved in the skill of archery. Granted yes, there is people that shouldn't be using a bow. But for people the go to there local big box store, buy a xbow, sight in their scope, and go shoot or stick the buck I have been patterning and scouting is b s. There is no skill involved. Tell me I am wrong.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Like i said before, x-bows just lengthened the gun hunters season another 6 weeks. You think archers get an unfortunate bad rap for wounding animals now? Wait until these x-bow yahoos get out in the woods.
Standard Preparation Procedure:
1) Buy X-bow (Sept 29th)
2) Shoot three arrows into a target...at least hit the target...close enough
3) Poor "C'mere Deer" 30 yards from rifle blind (Sept 30th)
4) Buy broadheads for x-bow on the way to camp
5) "Hunt"

·
Registered
835 Posts
honestly could care less. I'm hunting with my bow and thats all i'm worried about..... though I can see the concern of newbs. in the woods thinking there going to get 100yd kills with one. My dads that I got him the PSE SideWinder XB though is a sweet shooter is only really good out to 40-45yds. But he gets to hunt now so good for him.....:)

·
Registered
186 Posts
I'm one to agree that its the lazy mans way out. Yes it is good for some who otherwise couldn't hunt, but I know of quite a few that purchased crossbows simply because its "easier" and they don't have to waste time practicing. They are not in it for the hunt, they just want to kill something.

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
it ain't gonna matter. Statistically speaking, crossbow hunters don't kill anymore, or have more proficiency at killing than verticle bow.

There is enough data availble to prove that out.

I could give to chits less if ya want to use a crossbow. I have no intentions of using one either.

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Like i said before, x-bows just lengthened the gun hunters season another 6 weeks. You think archers get an unfortunate bad rap for wounding animals now? Wait until these x-bow yahoos get out in the woods.
Standard Preparation Procedure:
1) Buy X-bow (Sept 29th)
2) Shoot three arrows into a target...at least hit the target...close enough
3) Poor "C'mere Deer" 30 yards from rifle blind (Sept 30th)
4) Buy broadheads for x-bow on the way to camp
5) "Hunt"
Change out the "xbow" portion of the statement and you have just described 'bout 80% of the bowhunters in the state.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I agee. In my opinion it takes all the shooting skill out of bowhunting. Gives lazy gun hunters more time to hunt with a "short range rifle"
I also hunt during the Firearm season and I am by no means lazy. Yes the shot is ultimatley "easier" with my rifle as opposed to my bow, but don't call us lazy. Most of the "non-handicapped" individuals who will be using crossbows will never see a deer anyway, because they are not skilled hunters. :darkbeer:

·
Registered
2007 BEAR INSTINCT
5,740 Posts
it's crap!!
it should only be allowed for individuals with a true handicap.

i'm all for the shops that sell them to make money, thats the only plus about it.

my ***** neighbor who is only 32 ish went and bought one, one is because he could and two he says his shoulder hurts and had surgery and some type 2 arthritis. Try adding some muscle by using weights. Execuses.

it's a 3 yr. trial isn't it, but we all know michigan will make it permanent because they think it's going to save the state from it's economic shortfall.

·
Registered
49 Posts
50/50

I think it could be good for hunting in michigan... money wise but when i was standing in cabelas a few weeks ago people are lined up to test shoot the Xbows and most were 35-45 and i didnt hear any one talk about the rules on age and where u can use them, being 50 or older for state wide and 12 and older for zone 3 only!!! I have seen few people buying them and talking about hunting and the places werent in zone 3 and they looked to be early 40s so I have seen a few DNR CO's in the woods lastweekend handing out fines for bating in DMU 452 .. but that is another topic so I think we will be hearing about ill informed hunters in the woods hunting with xbows when they shouldnt be, but as a hunter u should know the rules. My stance is if u cant pull back a bow due to injury or handycap than u should be able to use a cross bow and this will help boost up hunting in mi and the economy for the stores selling the equipment.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yep, I remember the traditional shooters saying the exact same things about compounds as you boys are saying. Seems like people love to set their own limits...and then criticize others accordingly.

Long

·
Registered
925 Posts
We have had crossbows here in Ohio and it didn't hurt anything at all. If any thing the hunting got better. I thought the same thing when they first became legal but then I hurt my shoulder and couldn't shoot for a couple years and then I was glad to have them. Then when my bows turned 8 years old they could go bow hunting by using a crossbow. They are not guns. They don't shoot any faster or further than your compound. Most likely not as flat as your bow. I am glad they are around to help those that can't shoot a compound. I don't use them any more but still own 2 of them.

·
Registered
526 Posts
before everyone jumps on the lazy xbow man, i bet you can count over ten guys that should have no business bow hunting, don't practice,dull broadheads, etc. that wounds deer after deer. the xbow guys don't bother me its the lazy bowhunter that should be banned. go to your proshop and they sell a ton of compounds the week before and they don't leave the store without there c'mere deer also.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts