Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Registered
4,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is it safe to do? I know it will make blood trailing harder, but is that an issue if i make a good shot with a rage 2 blade that will HOPEFULLYwork FLAWLESSLY? Im not saying the broadhead is AWESOME but i want to know if bow hunting in the rain is really an ethical thing. I know i can kill a deer, but what aare your experiences with hunting and tracking in the rain?

· Registered
602 Posts
Not a big fan of hunting in the rain, although I will hunt in a light mist. Now you make that rain into snow and we have a different story.

· Registered
1,621 Posts
About my favorite time to hunt. Seems I see more deer during daylight hours when theres a light rain. I do limit my shots to a little closer distance though, to make sure I can make a perfect shot so blood trailing isn't an issue.

· Registered
1,739 Posts
I like hunting in a light rain. Knocks down your scent and deer will still move. Heavy rain.. i like being in the woods right after a heavy rain stops..deer will be on there feet. But i wont head out in a heavy rain. just not worth it to me to sit there and get soaked. I have plenty of time to hunt fortunatley.

· Yippiee ki-yay
3,625 Posts
About my favorite time to hunt. Seems I see more deer during daylight hours when theres a light rain. I do limit my shots to a little closer distance though, to make sure I can make a perfect shot so blood trailing isn't an issue.
Yeah , light rain or heavy,misty days are for me real good. I like the woods when its quiet. Deer seem to move early because of light conditions and shooting a buck early is a god thing. Put on some rain gear and slide 'em a shaft.

· Registered
Mathews Chill X
6,891 Posts
re

You will get mixed results from this question. If you can kill a deer and find it, then it is ethical. I have shot many deer in the rain, and I have found em all. It is not unethical if you can recover the deer.

Tips to recovery. Do not take so so shots. (not that ya ever should). Take a smart shot, and get on hte trail beofore the rain washes it away.

Right after the shot in the rain, I usualy get to my arrow right away (which i dont usualy do) That way I know what kinda hit it was. I give it a few minutes as long as it was a good shot, and then I track slowly with an arrow ready.

2 years ago I made a gut/liver hit in the rain and I had to make a follow-up shot. Good luck this year, just make good shots and use common sence and you should be fine.

· Registered
2,754 Posts
My question would be who has ever had a blood trail erased by rain? I know everyone thinks it happens, but that hasn't been my experience. I've shot deer in the rain and could follow the trail perfectly. I've had bucks cross small creeks and one even walked in the creak/drainage ditch for 10 yards. You could see the blood drops pooled in the water. If they cross mud puddles the blood can be seen perfectly.

They only time water has made my life more difficult was early morning in the form of frost. Blood that lands on frosty ground needs to be followed fairly quickly if the temps are on their way up. It seems the blood lands on the frost and then can be carried away or thinned when the frost melts. Of course I'm talking marginal blood on top of frost, not blind man trails you often get with great hits.

· Excited Delerium
1,024 Posts
I grew up in Western Washington, we hunted in the rain A LOT, never bothered me a bit. We've never lost an animal due to the rain itself. Of the few animals that have been lost to our hunting party in the last 30 years it's mainly been from poor shot placement.

I like that the rain helps knock down your scent and makes things nice and quiet. I also see more animals after it has been raining hard and slows or stops. The animals will bed down in a hard rain and be ready to get up and move/feed when it slows or stops.

Don't let a little liquid sunshine stop you from being in the woods. :tongue:

· Registered
4,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thanks guys, its helping lift my spirits. The weather man was calling for rain tomorrow, opening day, thats why im asking.

· Registered
322 Posts
If you wait for the ethic's police to make a decision the rain will most likely be over.:wink:
Here in ohio it downpored last night at about 5:45. As soon as it stoped the deer were on there feet,arrowed a my first doe of the year at 7:00pm. I would say the yardage but the ethics police would be all over it like white on rice. There will be some backstraps in the pan tonight!:police::RockOn:

· Registered
2,832 Posts
Your going to need some form of a lightning distractor, ie. a metal pole or golf club tied to the base of your stand so that the lightning doesn't hit the limb of your bow. Other then that you should be perfectly fine.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.